North Carolina employee pool

We have a high level executive in NC with the highest attrition rate in the company - & not because they leave...because we've had to terminate. We've had to fire managers there for fraud, lying, stealing, fake I-9 documents, fake education documents, etc. not to mention the ones with plain ole performance problems. We do the same background checks, reference checks, pre-employment process that we do in all the other states. She's a highly competent person in other areas & talks tough about her interviewing & hiring. She says its because of the NC employee pool - that this is a common problem among NC employees...lying, cheating, stealing, fraudulant diplomas, etc. She says she's seen it in every job she's had in NC (she's worked in other states as well). We work in numerous states & I'm just not ready to agree with her that its the employee pool. But I'm willing to look at all possibilities, because we must solve this problem. We're heavily invested across NC & can't keep turning over managers every 3 months. So for those of you who are employers in NC, have you found this to be a problem? If you work in numerous states, do you see any difference in NC?

Thanks...

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I find this hard to believe.

I do not have NC experience, but it is just a bit difficult to swallow. Are you prosecuting the theft, forgeries and frauds? If every ER would do that, the background checks would quickly cull the pool for those issues.
  • We don't get to decide whether they prosecute the criminal activity. I have talked to DAs in various counties about the more serious cases & our willingness to provide evidence & cooperate. So far, none have followed up. In one case, I contacted the NC DMV & offered to fax them a copy of a fake DL, including a current address of the employee which I knew to be accurate...they said they weren't interested...there were too many for them to follow up on.

But that aside, these are professionals we're hiring. We've been in this business long enough that we ought to have a better track record in that state.
  • Someone is making ridiculous excuses. We operate in eight states. Other than IL, NC is the most stable state we have. The group of managers I work with are above par all the way around. I've worked in a manager capacity in WNC for 7 years and I find that statement ludicrous. You need to dig deeper.
  • Your hiring official in that state thinks she has found a convenient 'fall guy' for her personal ineptness. There is no such thing as a state with a largely incompetent and overwhelmingly inept workforce or a state with a workforce more likely to have criminal activity than another state.

So, if you make widgets and most of them are bad, it's either the material they're made out of or the process. In this case, it's the process, which brings you right back around to HER.
  • Don's right. Sounds like she isn't performing any kind of background checks, including verifying diplomas or SSNs. It's the process that stinks here, not the labor pool.

• I've thought it was her all along, but I wanted to be open-minded.