EAP

We have never had an Employee Assistance Program and I think it's time to initiate one. Have you had experience - good or bad - with your EAP? Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have one and it is outsourced....primarily to protect the ee. If it's run internally, you'll end up knowing way too much and never be able to "unknow" the information...or ee's will be afraid to use the service....

Ours works well...and I'm frequently grateful for it!
  • EAP is outsourced here and there has been no problems. The ee's do use it too.

Skylyon
  • Ours started October 1. We're using an EAP that we used at my last job, so I was already familiar with it. I have had employees indicate to me already that they intend to use it, and as expensive as counseling is, I think that makes it worth it. Another plus is our program provides other training - we will be using it for sexual harassment training very soon. I'm anxious to see our utilization numbers at the first quarter.
  • Have worked with four of them and have not had negatives. One real valuable feature with current one is that they are always anxious to come and talk to our employee group meetings about a variety of subjects. They give great presentations to encourage utilization of the program. Of course they have the motive of ultimately making money from such things as admitting ees to treatment or long term counseling, etc. But, we know that going in. The services they provide are beneficial to our overall employee relations mindset. One suggestion: Get a couple of price quotes and compare apples to apples.
  • Our EAP is great. We are currently working on a series of brief sessions in which personal and professional stress and coping mechanisms will be discussed, as well as training for supervisors. I'm hoping this will boost our utilization rate. So far there have been no negatives at all.
    Linda
  • I agree with what others have already said and am a big fan of EAP's. People have mentioned the training that can come with them and I think that's important, especially the first couple of years til folks feel comfortable.