Polygraph Testing

I work in a health care clinic. Back in March we had let one of our physicians go due to improper proceedure with her patients, and fraud of improper documentation in charts.

Since then we have had 4 breakins in that clinic, the other clinics we have has nevered had an issue, plus this clinic has never had an issue either until now. My question is that we feel that there may also be a insider who is tipping this person or persons off, all 4 times we had the police out and filed reports, the safe has been taken so there is money involved with the crimes.

My question is: Do we as a company have the right to polygraph our employees so see if in fact there is involement. I know this sounds outrageous, I know this sound also very complicated as well. Any help or suggestions, would be greatly appreicated.

thank you,

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, polygraphs are generally allowed for employees who are reasonably suspected of workplace violations such as theft. There are restrictions. Your best bet is to run it by your attorney. The tab for one hour of legal advice is a lot less costly than a law suit.
  • Thank you, I also just remembered the Polygraph protection act. I must of had a brain fart. I forgot about that. But, I will call an attorney to get the details.

thank you again for your help
  • You'll find that it cannot be done without the agreement of each employee you want to test and the results are not admissable in court. But, agreeing with s moll, I would not dream of it without the advice of counsel.

So, what do you reckon the connection is between the doctor you fired and the breakins and thefts? I've not known of a MD-cat-burglar.
  • Snip
    >So, what do you reckon the connection is between
    >the doctor you fired and the breakins and
    >thefts? I've not known of a MD-cat-burglar.

He's hooked on Vicodin and is raiding the samples storage area.

• Perhaps you should quietly install video equipment in a strategic location. Some of the equipment is so small and so easy to conceal that unless you know where to look, you would not know it was there.

This might be a good investment. If an insider is involved, he/she would not consent to the polygraph and then where would you be? Even more suspicious, but you could not do anything to the person - the lawsuit would get even bigger.
  • Video cameras are a great idea, along with better locks, a safer safe, and a silent alarm triggered by motion detectors. x:=| Security companies (and perhaps your police department) will come to you clinic and evaluate your security or lack thereof.

Good luck.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com