Affectional Preference

2»

Comments

• So Larry, from 18 to 40 you are protected from being discriminated against because you are too young? - then from 40 up because of too old? This is mind boggling. I can hear the hooting all the way from Ca. As a practical matter, every decision, every choice we make, whether in employment or otherwise, is some form of discrimination, generally based on relative qualifications, education, experience - in which age may be a relevant consideration. Sounds like full employment for attys in Minneapolis.
  • With everyone belonging to a protected class now, one could argue that it has now become impossible to discriminate.
  • ohmygosh! I'm so confused now! I am biological female - completely. Long hair, manicured nails, curvy. I love to wear my strappy sandals and salsa dance in a girly twirly skirt. But I fight fires and and teach rescue training. I cook awesome jambalya, but sometimes using vension I am responsible for taking from the field. I love it when a man opens a door for me or takes my arm while walking, but I like to chop out tree stumps when I get angry...maybe I should move to the land of Protected Classes just to be safe...
  • Are you kidding? You've got firefighting equipment, handle rescue training, retrieve your own venison, and chop tree stumps, and you need protection?

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-01-04 AT 04:17PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Just for clarification, are your manicured nails curvy and how do you type if they are?

(It takes a provocative post to get Ole Brad to respond! He's usually balancing his checkbook and counting the pencils in the supply room.)
  • zen,
    What is "zen drywall finishing"? (It's in your profile)
  • In theory I suppose thats a good thing.

Maybe I should make it better known that I salivate in the Craftsman section of Sears just as much as I do in the shoe section of Filenes. My ideal closet would have a floor to ceiling shoe rack and one of those red metal tool cabinet things filled with the coolest tools ever!

I was at a networking function last evening and told a bunch of fellow HR professionals about this new protected class of your's. One was surprised Massachusetts didn't come up with it first!
  • RAD: You'll like this. When I was in our New Haven, Indiana facility about a month ago, the maintenance director took me into a room to show me something he said was really neat. It was a toolchest. Solid black, had gold (not chrome) all over it, stood about six feet tall and was at least five feet wide. It belonged to one of the mechanics. It sat there like a mint condition 58 Chevy Impala without a scratch on it. He said it cost nine thousand dollars. I decided to not even get close to it. I doubt it was a Craftsman though.
  • Wow...I would love to own that even though it probably would not fit in my apartment very well!
  • Don -
    The manicured nails are sensibly short, but buffed and polished, the easier to type and fight fires with, my dear.

Zen drywall is achieved by floating joint compound that has been beaten to a creamy consistency (using DeWalt pro series drill and paddle) and applied in a manner that requires little to no sanding while listening to native american or japanese wood flute CDs (or Stevie Ray Vaughn). wax on... wax off...grasshopper. This skill was achieved by restoring 1 spanish colonial (listen to Santana) 2 Victorian beheomoths (listen to Water Music)and my newest solo project 1920 gothic revival farmhouse (listen to S.C.O.T.S.)

Brad, every woman I know has need of some protection every once and a while - even if we're just saying it so you guys feel validated. Personally, I love to have a strong (male) arm to squeeze during scary movies.

• If you ever get around to restoration of a 1930's era Mississippi Delta Tennant shack, it will go much smoother (zen smooth) if you listen to Muddy Waters, Boogaloo Ames or the new one: Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company. And Falstaff if you can find it.
  • Hey Don, wouldn't you know it, but I also play the Native American flute. Maybe next time, I'll have my wife slap on that mud and I'll serenade her.
  • THAT's why my Christopher Lowell projects always end up looking like crap. The music doesn't flow with the project. Or I just have no talent. x;-)
  • Zen, I think you and I would get along very well...a couple of girly girls who know their way around a tool shed (or tool bin in my city apartment!).
  • Don - I replied to your message, although I don't know if I did it right. Thanks. If you didn't receive it, the short answer is: the nails are not curvy - shiny and sensible, but not curvy. The long answer was a lot better.

Zen drywall is a method of applying very creamy joint compound in a manner that is relaxing and attempts (pretty successfully) to negate the need for sanding. Usually done barefoot while listening to quality music.

Brad - every woman I know has need of protection at some point even if she makes the statement of such need only to validate her partner's need to be protective. I personally need a strong arm to grab when watching scary movies. I can kill my own spiders, empty the moustrap, or relocate snakes, but I can't stand watching a scary movie by myself so I just don't watch 'em anymore.

rad - thanks for posting about the power tool thang - I don't feel like such an anomoly now. Big closets, shoes and power tools, what more could a girl want? Maybe a 71 Grand Lemans convertible.....make mine Estee Lauder red, please.

• Sorry to post the repeat..

Don - It's been awhile since I've been on the Mississppi - I usually get to Beale St. in Memphis a couple of times in a year. Shotgun delta house? No problem - will work for food if the music is right. Will look for the Ray Charles...very smooth with Woodford's Reserve.

rad - we'd probably have a blast buying out Saks and Home Depot - let me know if you get to KY or TN - I work in one state and live in the most southern that I can. We can get pedicures then test drive some wicked compound miter saws!