Politics, Politics, and more Politics

Help me out here....in my opinion, we may just be taking this a little too far!

Several weeks ago, our president requested that everyone remove ALL political items from their work areas. (It had gotten way too out of control). The task was accomplished with the exception of one employee leaving one (1) button. The button, by the way, is the same one several other employees had but removed.

The bickering has begun...he's claiming "free speech and he's not taking it down" and she's saying "it's unfair that everyone else has removed theirs and he has not".

Any suggestions? Plleeeeaas!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-31-04 AT 12:56PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Unless you're a public employer, fire the guy who is refusing to follow the directive.

Okay, I was grouchy when I originally posted this, so maybe firing him is a bit extreme. However, I would consider a VERY strong warning, or even a suspension for behavior like this.
  • As a private employer you can place all sorts of requirements on the work environment. No politics means no politics.

Hopefully, you have a policy detailing progressive discipline. and remember however you handle this ee is how similar situations will need to be handled in the future.

• As the other posters have already mentioned, provided you're a private employer he can yell "free speech" all the way out the door with his final paycheck - and he can keep the button, too.

I view this as a clear case of insubordinate behavior and you should address it immediately.

• NICROMAN: Give the ee a written warning with a sunset which tells the ee to remove the item by 5 PM today. If it is not gone by 5 PM today then the ee is to stay at home for three days without pay. Upon the return of the ee into the work area the ee will remove the item out of sight, if that is not done then have your personal items packed up by 10 AM and you will leave the premises never to return. The failure on the ee's part to follow instructions will be sufficient reason to cancel the employer/employee relationship and the behaviors of the ee will dictate what happens next.

PORK

By the way welcome to the forum!

• Can't aruge with that. Is it is or is it ain't... the same instructions were given to all ee's. Therefore all must comply or else. Follow your regular discipline policy and stick to your guns going forward. All means All or does it depend on your definition of ALL?
    Good Luck,
    Dutch2
  • thank you all...you're the best!