Timesheets for Hourly employees

Those of you who are in the "production/manufacturing" industry... do any of you use actual timesheets for your hourly workers - and not timeclocks? We have approx. 70 employeees here and are looking at getting rid of the timeclocks. Wondering if any of you have a timesheet that you use and would recommend the "format" and/or procedures that you follow?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • KYMM: Out of concern, why the decision to shoot the time clock and toss it out for a time sheet, which is very much less reliable in the clocking of time for hourly workers?

We have looked at going away from the standard hour hand clock to a more significant Digital 100 minute clock, which would save the manager/supervisors responsible for the calculation of the time to hours, minutes, and seconds TIME in the task of computing time worked on the job.

For those that write in their time, we use the same time card and time in and out system of recording with the supervisor/manager approving the calculations for payment. I recommend the standard card as your recording device.

PORK
  • Are you expecting a reduction in workforce or something else? It appears to me that you would want to move forward in terms of automation/technology for timekeeping and payroll functions instead of regressing.

If you could share a little bit more on your situation, many on the forum would be glad to offer alternate suggestions.

Gene
  • My mother works for a company that uses timesheets instead of a time clock. I don't know about the format, but the reason is because they want to show respect for the maturity of the employees, or something like that.

The result is that the employees who are very conscientious about their schedule and their work habits begin to get frustrated at those who do not pull their own weight. I think time clocks are a nice way to keep an honest man honest.
  • LORRIE: In my opinion it is the time clock that keeps a dishonest man honest. When our managers are involved with the collection of time cards and the calculations of time he/she will be alerted to apparant things, like someone clocked in with out the body being present. Or more common those sitting around at the end of the lunch break and closing time just waiting for the clock to tick around to physical go home action.
    I am totally against time sheet marking it leaves much to be desired when recording time. All to often you will find the dedicated employee getting to work on time by the work sheet but physically in and working 15 to 30 minutes before start time. A time sheet will not allow for out of focus supervision on these employees. Before you know it, you'll see everyone in by 8 and out by 12 back in by 1 and out by 5. This then will alert the wage and hour folks to look deeper and ask more questions of how does the real company operate the time keeping system.

PORK