Paid time off the vote?

Is there such a monster? If so how are you to regulate that ee really went and voted? Or is this like any other time off, use per/vac time or before or after work hours.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This used to be a practice for government workers...the polls are now open long enough that regardless of your shift, you should be able to vote AND work.

We require our ee's to take the day off if they are working the polls in some way.

• there is nothing that says time off must be paid just that employees must be allowed time off to vote.
  • Here in Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Ways to Define Vague, employers must give employees time off WITH pay to vote. It does not specify how much time has to be given, but it does say that it has to be in the morning. Go figure.
  • No mystery Larry. That's how Ventura got elected. Everybody knows WWF diehards drink beer mid morning and sleep all afternoon, so the only time they can vote is early morning, just after the polls open. x:D
  • That's about the time I usually vote and, judging by the looks of the people in line with me, I'd have to say you're right, Don.

Also I voted for Jesse and, I must say, it was well worth the entertainment. I believe this election law came to be under the noble administration of Rudy Perpich or, as Newsweek magazine labeled him, Governor Goofy. When our state government is in session, it is the adult version of Disney World.....after it's over you've spent alot of money to go for a ride and all you have left is a t-shirt that says, "Zippa-Dee-Do-Dah"!
  • In NY, ee's must be allowed time off from work to vote if they do not have 4 consecutive nonworking hours when polls are open. They must be paid up to 2 hours of wages, but must be allowed additional unpaid time off if needed. No restrictions on what time of day. No one has ever requested their 2 hours of paid time off for voting. We allow people to use vacation or personal time.
  • Since polls are open 7A to 7P in our area, we do not give additional time off for voting purposes. If there is a problem with an employee voting before or after work hours, they can advise supervisor and based on the situation, time may be given.

• In NYC, the polls are open from 6am to 9 pm (gives you plenty of time to vote early and often, even if you are dead). Never had an ee request time off to vote.