EOE policy

We are a 2nd gen family-owned company of 55 employees, and employ an 18 yr old 3rd gen full time and 1 16yr old 3rd gen part-time. We comply with anti-discrimination laws we are subject to under EEOC. Beyond EEOC posters, are we required by law to have a written EOE policy in the handbook, applications or job openings? We have a harassment policy covering Title VII protected groups and complaint procedures in the handbook.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'll take a try at this: Unless you're doing some government contracting, you're not even required to have a handbook, so, no, you are not required to have an EOE policy in the handbook. Since it seems that you're doing quite a bit in the way of meeting requirements, it probably wouldn't be a stretch to include the policy and statement in your handbook and on your application though.
  • I think it is prudent to have a statement to the effect you donot discriminate in employment matters etc. Since you have a handbook, why not put in the EEOC language. In some federal discrimination claimms, there is a presumption that you have no policy if you do not sate it, and, since you have a handbook, and it is not stated, I think a savvy emp/ment lawyer could give you some acid reflux symptoms. I'd do it. (the policy I mean).