reference redux

A similar problem as Scorpio just posted - but will be interested in your takes.
Ee worked for us several years ago, was a whiner and a minor nuisance in general. She got angry at boss and walked out. Treated as vol quit. She sued for sexual harassment (I still don't really know what happened but it involved the boss) but we paid a settlement to make her go away. Now she shows up working for our ceo's best bud, and ceo wants to warn him of our experience. I think the new emp/er is a hot head who would not keep any info confidential, and we'd be back in court on new issues. Ceo thinks since ee is still probationary with new emp/er, she can be let go w/o a hassle. I don't like it but am prepared to concede to tell him if I must, and only in writing, that she sued us and he can check the county clerk records for info. My preference is to say nothing. Any thoughts? Thanks guys - and gals.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If I am you I keep as far away from this one as you can. Now if he has a conversation with his buddy on the golf course, you can't control that. I would be surprised to find a CEO that could not keep their temper and mouth in check long enough to remedy this situation.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • If he wants his buddy alerted, he should do that himself, personally. It should not come from the company officially. If the other guy is truly his 'best bud' I can't imagine your CEO coming to Human Resources to make this suggestion. If he is and he did, then something is fishy. He must feel pretty squirmy about notifying his buddy. Otherwise, why didn't he just pick up the phone and call him? Maybe he wants the onus on the personnel guy!
  • More info. CEO's more than happy to talk to his bud, but comes to me first and aksk 'what should I tell him?" I say, nothing. He says, gotta tell him somethin. He suspects she didn't put our employmenjt on her app or bud would've mentioned it. I say it isn't our problem until we open our traps and make it our problem. But I know that first thing this pm, my boss will want to know what he can say, and I know he won't be happy with doing nothing.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-04 AT 09:03AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Ask the boss if there was a confidentiality clause in the settlement. If there is, then he has to hold his tongue. If not then, he could tell his friend that the woman worked for him in the past and he should check to see if she lied on her application. I don’t think that he would be violating any law or confidentiality clause by saying that she is not eligible for rehire and leave it at that. Surely his friend can read between the lines.

I wanted to add that you a one of the lucky ones. He came to HR before having his say. My pres would not have asked first.
  • Ladies & Gentlemen: If my best bud knew that I just hired one of his ex-employees, who was a problem child, and did not tell me, kiss that relationship goodbye.

In the real world, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-04 AT 11:35AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I think the reality is that your boss will say something, he shouldn't and my guess is that he wouldn't if he didn't have an existing personal relationship with the buddy CEO. Since he does have the relationship & he will tell the CEO, just tell him to do it in a social setting and then prepare yourselves for a lawsuit - not a lawyer here, but perhaps grounds for libel? Ultimately, the gal is a KNOWN entity when it comes to willingness to follow through with threats to seek legal recourse. If it was me, I would tell my boss to go for it if he must and if there was no confidentiality statement in the settlement, but know what your probable consequences are.