EE implicated in theft

We have an ee who left her engagement ring on her desk when she left work. Half-way home realized and came back. Of course, it was gone. Only 1 co-worker was left and the cleaning crew had just left as well. She posted a reward, everyone knew she had lost the ring. She gets a call from local police stating they found her ring in pawn shop. She id's. They show her a picture of co-worker (the one that was still here that night) and ask her does she know this person. She says yes and they tell her the guy that pawned the ring states he got it from the female in the picture. Now, this is all hearsay from the EE. I've contacted the detective to find out what they plan to do with the other EE who was identified. So far, they haven't really told me anything. I know they interviewed her but that's it. The manager is going nuts! Wants to pull her in and question her. I'm leary. I don't want to call anyone a thief unless I know they're a thief. Meantime, I have a very upset EE, mgr, etc. This can't go on forever. What would you do?? This is almost 2 weeks old.

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is a criminal investigation that should remain in the hands of the police. I don't know what you can do at this point that would be effective. Perhaps the manager is expecting the EE to breakdown and confess, but even that would probably not be admissable.

I expect things are very tense around there waiting for some sort of resolution. I would contact the police department and ask for an update on the theft that occurred in your office and proceed from there. Unless they are about to make an arrest, they probably won't tell you anything. In our shop, the EEs are expected to notify us within 24 hours in the event of an arrest or a conviction.
  • I totally agree with Marc. If your manager gets sideways and puts his nose in the middle of this investigation, he could blow the whole thing.
  • In order to ease the tension in the office I would consider suspending the identified ee that could be involved in someway with the loss of the ring, pending completion of the investigation. if the individual is not found to be involved then return the ee back to work and pay her for the lost time.

PORK
  • I would love to be her attorney if you suspend her and she is not proven guilty.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-02-04 AT 04:16PM (CST)[/font][br][br]My thought here is that the ee may have let her boy friend in the office for a few minutes to use the restroom or whatever, and unknowingly, the boy friend may have grabbed the ring and the ee may not have known anything. Her mistake might have been a violation of allowing access to unauthorized company facility and being associated with the real thief. Otherwise, To suspend would have been the right action as soon as she was identified, as I understand it it was the boyfriend that identified the ee, who is right and who is wrong? It may be to late now and the police must be pressured to move the case along and make the arrest, then follow your company policy, appropriately. Arrest without incarceration maynot produce a company violation. However, pretty good suspension of wrong doing allows your company every right to suspend pending the completion of an investigation, then do one with the employees and the pawn shop. Get the facts make a decision to suspend further or terminate.

PORK
  • the manager wanted to suspend, but I disagreed, for the exact reason Don D just stated. This dept is small and the tension is soooo thick. I just want to know what her excuse was to the police. The girl that lost the ring called her at home that night asking her again if she had seen anything. Even if she said she found it in the parking lot, she still knew the ring belonged to that employee. I just want it to be wrapped up but it never works out that way, does it?

• Number One: She can thank her lucky stars that she recovered her engagement ring! Most thiefs are smart enough not to pawn in the area where they might be recognized or identified by someone else.

This almost appears on the surface to be an open and shut case, and it's surprising the police haven't moved to make a decision. There must be more to the situation that you are privy to.

If there's a way you can separate the employees while the investigation is being conducted, (without one feeling there's a punishment) that might be a possibility.

This is a tough situation because I'm sure management is on the hot seat because other employees have already made their decision and are probably wondering why you are keeping a "thief" on staff.

• Tension does stink, but tension or not I don't see how you can take any fair, reasonable action until the police complete their investigation and make a determination. That's why you must keep calling them to find out what progress is being made. If you suspend and they don't come up with enough evidence to indict, (which could take a looooog time) at the very least you'll have to reinstate the EE with back pay.
  • I would not take any action at this time. Its hearsay and until she either confesses or is arrested, you would be acting on assumption. Although suspision is reasonable, whose to say the boyfriend wasn't in the building and while her back was turned helped himself without her knowledge, and now that he's going down, he's gonna take her with him. I would just suggest to the manager and the employee that for the time being "know their enemy" and don't leave any valuables laying around.
  • Just wondering how this came out in the end.
  • Oh, this is a good one. I get a phone call (shortly after posting this)from the supvsr. The ee in question asked him to get something from under the desk. He thinks, what?? Go get it yourself. She is adamant he look under the desk. Later, he does look, and guess what he finds??? You guessed it. One "missing" ring.
    Long story short. Detective comes in, interviews ee who lost the ring. She finally admits she made up the story about id'ing the ring. BUT, she felt in her heart that the suspected ee was the one who took it and she was just trying to call her bluff. She did the wrong thing for the right reason. My conspiracy theory (and the detective agrees) is that suspected ee threw the ring under the desk after she got a call from the police wanting to schedule an interview. After wasting 2 hrs of my time having to sit in on these discussions I am thoroughly aggravated...but we still can't prove anything. So we live and learn.
    At least she got her ring back and it was pretty cool sitting in with the detective. I felt like I was on Law & Order. cha-chung!
  • >Oh, this is a good one. I get a phone call
    >(shortly after posting this)from the supvsr.
    >The ee in question asked him to get something
    >from under the desk. He thinks, what?? Go get
    >it yourself. She is adamant he look under the
    >desk. Later, he does look, and guess what he
    >finds??? You guessed it. One "missing" ring.
    >Long story short. Detective comes in,
    >interviews ee who lost the ring. She finally
    >admits she made up the story about id'ing the
    >ring. BUT, she felt in her heart that the
    >suspected ee was the one who took it and she was
    >just trying to call her bluff. She did the
    >wrong thing for the right reason. My conspiracy
    >theory (and the detective agrees) is that
    >suspected ee threw the ring under the desk after
    >she got a call from the police wanting to
    >schedule an interview. After wasting 2 hrs of my
    >time having to sit in on these discussions I am
    >thoroughly aggravated...but we still can't prove
    >anything. So we live and learn.
    >At least she got her ring back and it was pretty
    >cool sitting in with the detective. I felt like
    >I was on Law & Order. cha-chung!

I guess I lost something in the translation....I thought the ring had already been recovered from a pawn shop and returned to the employee is was stolen from? Was it then thrown under the desk somehow?

• the employee who we "thought" took the ring, is the same one who we "think" threw it back under the desk. She had just received a phone call from the detective wanting to schedule an interview.
    The ee who lost the ring, made up the story about identifying it and being shown the picture of the suspected ee. She said she was trying to call her bluff and hopefully force her to return the ring...which she did, although it was under the desk, and we still can't prove she took it in the first place. Go figure.
  • OK class, let's review. This story has made a complete 180. For those of you who felt the accused employee should have been suspended, come to the board and diagram your defense for us. Let's assume, just for the sake of argument, that the employee had been suspended, had an emotional breakdown as a result, recovered somewhat and retained Johnny Cochran. The postal guy in blue shorts is walking up your sidewalk with an envelope with a green sticker on it. And there is a Crown Vic with dark windows and 'Constable' plastered across the door turning into your driveway.
  • This is exactly why a thorough and completed investigation needs to be done prior to any action taken. What a strange twist to the situation. Please keep us informed of the outcome.
  • Well HRinGA you have a wonderful teachable moment for all of the supervisors why you have to get all of the information, before you move foward with an employment action........ They say hire slowly fire quickly......... to quick will bit you in the ass.
    That being said, I made a decision to terminate an employee in 2.7 seconds this morning. One employee got upset with a foreman, struck him breaking his nose. Admitted to it. The saga continues, I told the other foreman running the site to suspend him, I am getting statements, and he will be in my office at 3:00 pm today, and I will be terminating him.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-04 AT 09:54AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-04 AT 09:52 AM (CST)[/font]

Sounds like procrastination to me! Waiting six hours to terminate an employee who struck a supervisor? He hits somebody else and you have a lawsuit on your hands. At the minimum, he should have been suspended, mandated off the property if you felt a 6 hour investigation was warranted. If you're waiting till the end of his shift, that's highly questionable.

(edit) Oh, well, maybe he WAS suspended. I just can't figure the three o'clock thing.

(edit) One last edit. An ee who has proven himself to be violent, to the point of striking an employee, should not be allowed or required to return to the property for any reason. Termination over the phone would be my suggestion.
  • DJ: You might want to wear a face guard!
  • My bad for not giving further details. The employee was suspended. Jobsite is an hour and a half away. I have a commitment at 12-1:30 and needed to get statements written up by the job site supervisor, and witnesses. I also think it gives him time to think about what he has done and chill out. I also wanted to hear what the foreman who was struck has to say about what happened. He is at the hospital, and unreachable at the moment.
    As I gather info I get more to the story. The foreman has been riding the employee for the last two weeks. Turns out there may have been some pushing and shoving before the punch was thrown. I now need to figure out if the pushing was initiated by the foreman..... who all say the event was instigated by the foreman.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Balloon, are you nuts??? If the guy has been suspended and sent off site, why invite him back at 3? All he has been doing is getting wound up waiting for the clock to strike 3.
  • Ritaanz,
    I have no idea what he has been doing. Fact is I want to talk to the employee who was assaulted as none of the "witnesses" really saw the actual assualt. Turns out he hit him three times........

Really just a formality, but our main office is not near this jobsite, had the injured employee report in, just got done talking to him 1/2 hour ago. Other guy who will be terminated will be here in about 20 minutes.

My last two weeks have sucked, lets review OSHA Citations, :-) tomorrow is the hearing, sexual harassment complaint, 1 person quitting no notice, and an employee breaking a supervisors nose.......... Can't wait for friday to come.....
    and go..........
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman