Evaluation Advice Needed

If an employee transfers to another department prior to their supervisor doing their evaluation interview, but they have the actual evaluation completed, do they:
a) Complete the evaluation interview with the employee alone?
b) Complete the evaluation interview with the employee, and their new supervisor?
c)Just send a copy of the review to the new supervisor and one to personnel file?

Please let me know how you all would handle this?

Thanks

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I do this in two stages. I have the supervisor whom they just left complete the part of the evaluation that talks about the year just completed, the new supervisor completes the forward looking goal setting aspects of the evaluation. If there are any issues brought up by the old supervisor, they are folded into any development plans etc, although in our shop, the EE cannot transfer unless they are in good standing to start with.

Everything goes into the files once signed.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
  • Thank you Marc. That sounds really good. My only question on that would be, do both supervisors do their aspects of the evaluation (forward/backward looking) together at the same time, or does the previous supervisor, sit with the employee alone and go over the evaluation, sending on a copy to the new supervisor who would then review that and create goals etc, based on certain feedback from the employees previous eval?

I appreciate your input/advice

• My advice would be the same as Marc's. I have the supervisor's sit in together as a team.
  • I've done it both ways with mixed results, but prefer for them all to sit together for the look back piece, then excuse the old supervisor for the balance. The only time I keep the old supervisor involved is if the EE wants to add language at the end of the evaluation disputing anything said by the old supervisor - I make sure there are no misunderstandings with the EE feedback option.
  • Agree with Marc.. both supervisors should be involved including developing any improvement plan that is a result of the old supervisor's evaluation