On-site drug testing

Finally back. Do any of you perform on-site drug testing? I have someone in one of our plants that wants to perform the testing for pre-employment and post accident. She is involved in the terminations. I can just see her terminating someone for a failed drug test in which she collected the sample and them accusing her of messing with it. What say you?

PS
In another post a while back, Don accused me of picking on him. He said it much more elegantly. Yes, Don I was picking on you. x:D

I'm NOT Slumpy Boy!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SMACE:I have done on-site and off-site testing with out-sourced certified collectors. I would never allow anyone collecting to be even remotely close to the termination actions based on company policy, for the very reason you site! Conflict of interest in what is now totally reliable with our referred / preferred certified collection site. One would not want to put into conflict the relationship of the company/collector/and ee! The employer would be to close to the actual situation.

I do not recommend you continue down that road, that pig will squeal!!!

PORK
  • Pork's right............. Not only will that little "piggy squeal all the way home", but your chain-of-custody credibility will look like swiss cheese. Suggest you choose another direction.
  • We do only "chain of custody" testing and my hands are not on it-If I want to test on site at one of the clinics, I pay them to come in - I would not go there.
  • Safety, SlumpyBoy was a one time poster that we suspected was one of SMace's alter-egos. Peas in a pod.
  • I kinda hate to give away the ending to this whodunnit, but Slumpy Boy is a fake persona x:o created by Jim Robb, HRhero.com Technical Guy. He was testing the system so he posted a message that said "Test." That's all.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • We do on-site testing. One of the local providers comes once a month to collect samples for randoms and prescreens. They perform the testing and provide me the results. I take it from there. I do not choose who is selected randomly nor does anyone in our organization have anything to do with testing - separation of powers.

In your absence, *SMAce's Twin* kept us entertained. Alumboy has been AWOL. Is Slumpy Boy your twin brother?
  • Don't bring me into the discussion SMace, aka slumpyboy, aka almuminumboy, aka steel boy.

It's not clear what sort of 'on site' test you are talking about. Lots of companies use the el-cheapo instant-plastic bag-cup-PTest that's about as reliable and legal as the field sobriety test. But then if the candidate appears to have 'failed' it, they send him to a certified collection facility for a test that will stand up. On site with the 16 dollar test is one thing (legally indefensible) and on site by a collection group that knows what they are doing is quite another. Tell your advisor that they might want to think about sitting on a witness stand and describing their level of proficiency and what specific training they've had.
  • Don, what sort of questions would I ask an on-site company in order to determine their credibility? I guess I'm asking what differentiates a competent from an incompetent drug testing company.
  • SM, why do you insist on stiring the pot? You post a valid question and then turn it into a sparring match.

Maybe chocolate covered pills would improve your disposition. Want some? x}>
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-27-04 AT 01:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I thought I was just putting the pot on the stove. I didn't stir it.

I was just validating Don's musings. I was not allowed back on the site for a while (conspiracy?????????), so I could not respond. I did not want to let that one get by me.

Seriously, thanks for the input. I like what someone said about validating a positive with an outside source. If that is the case, would you still just say no? (That was a good one, Whirlwind)
  • Don, what sort of questions would I ask an on-site company in order to determine their credibility? I guess I'm asking what differentiates a competent from an incompetent drug testing company.