Drivers License Records

We are a financial institution and are implementing a driver's license check authorization form. (We have several employees whose primary function is to drive money, supplies, etc..between branch offices and ATM's).

I'm not sure what or even if we should define what is considered acceptable in terms of the employees driving record. Should it be a specific number of points or less or would it be better to just leave it open for interpretation?

Also how many points or less would you recommend if we defined it?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Samantha -
    Different states may have different point systems - Our company requires we insure all of our employees to drive both general service and emergency response vehicles. We only hire those drivers who have 3 or fewer speeding tickets in the last two years. We exclude all DUI, reckless operation, suspensions, etc.

We have overlooked lack of insurance or registration papers charges as our locality has a no tolerance for drivers not having all paperwork in their vehicles at all times and will cite an insured driver who doesn't carry immediate proof.

The firm that provides our criminal background and drivers license records is very thorough - we've had some records as far back as 10 years ago surface.

It really depends on what you and your insurance company decide to allow. Ask your underwriter.
  • Thanks Zen for the information. We don't insure the employee's personal vehicles (which they use) but we do have an overall liability coverage. When I asked our Rep he wasn't helpful at all.
  • SAMANTHIA: We have a points system which was derived with our insurance carrier. A speeding ticket, diving skill infactions, and driver pre-post operational operational findings all warrant an employee write-up and the assignment of 3 points for each infraction. An "at fault" vehicle accident w/o injury to others or self warrant the assignment of 6 points. An "at fault" vehicle accident w injury to others or self warrants assignment of 12 points.

AT 9 points the driver is warned in writing; we do MVRs every 6 months.
    AT 12 points the driver is warned in writing; we place the ee probation, we do MVRs quarterly.
    AT 13 points the driver will loose insurance coverage with our carrier and must be taken out of the truck. Because the driver is a professional Class A driver, we normally cancel the employee/employer relationship.

We have transfered one employee, who had previous company experience in a non-driving position, we let him go back to his other position at a lower rate of pay than the rate as a truck driver. He has never ask to return to a truck driving position, he now earns what he was making as a truck driver.

I hope this helps. Work with your insurance carrier, they can let you know what they are willing to underwrite. The point system is a good tool to help the company maintain an easy disciplinary system and a means of cancellation of the bad drivers. Your bonding company will also be interested in maintaining visibility of the "risk takers" while hauling money or quality goods or people! I know the system works every year, when I have the record audits and the drivers want to know what their "rating might be".

PORK

• Depending on how much effort you want to put into it. For the most part we take into account the DMV printout and if main duty is driving eliminate anyone who has had any moving violation within 2 yrs of applying for this position and also anyone with a serious infraction DUI, leaving scene of accident, etc. We also ask for an annual DMV printout if they are to continue driving for us.

We also have a policy about driving for the company generally states they need to obey all the traffic laws while on company time failure to do so may warrant disciplinary action up to termination.

I would go over any questionable information on the printouts with the ee and also get a copy of their current insurance information because it is there private insurance that is primary and er's is secondary in the case of an accident while in their own vehicle.

JMO,
    Lisa