Criminal Background Checks

In order to complete a Criminal Background check the outside company and the State Highway Patrol require the date of birth of the applicant. Of course the employement application does not gather this information. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act does not prohibit an employer from obtaining the date of birth but rather what the employer does with this information that could be consider as discrimination against workes 40 and over. I am attempting to work up from scratch another "form" that the applicant can sign informing them that a criminal background check will be pulled and therefore it is necessary for them to list their full name, social security number and date of birth and that this information will be kept confidential in accordance with applicable laws and regualtions. This form will be removed from the applicaiton, same as the Affirmative Action Information Form before any hiring manager has access to the app. I have searched other HR sites for such a form and so far have found nothing. Rather than reinventing the wheel, do any of who already have such a form that you would be willing to share? If yes, please email to me at [email]humanresources@callawaybank.com[/email].
Thank you.
Dutch2

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Any form used in accordance with the FCRA will suffice. Do a quick google on Fair Credit Reporting and download a form. If it doesn't come with the age blank you can add it. This form will meet all the legal requirements for several types of background checks you may run.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-23-04 AT 08:29AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We only do BGC if an offer has been made. Once offer is made we send them for a pre-em drug test. To go for the DT we require them to show either a current driver's lic. or photo ID along with the Soc Sec card. The driver's lic or state ID will have the DOB on it. When the DT comes back neg. we then do the BGC and we have the copy of the ID with the DOB already in the file. This has worked for us, no DOB on the application.
  • The person who calls the candidate to schedule him/her for Orientation obtains the DOB, and we then run a State Police Clearance. The key thing is that the information is obtained post-offer, and not part of the screening process.
  • Our company outsources our pre-employment background checks. The vendor provides a form for which the employee must complete and sign. All of our contractors who come onto facility premises must also have a background check completed prior to entry. Anyway, I just wanted to offer a note of caution. Generally, the person doing the history usually only goes through the last 3-5 residence locations of the employee, not the time duration. Because of this, the employee might come up "clean" if you were looking into the county/state of the last few residences, but if you went back a period of years, you might find something altogether different. Under our new corporate policy, the vendor doing our background checks goes back a number of years and also now checks the FBI terrorist list.