Employee Attitude Problem

I have an employee whose son was let go last week (in the end the son quit as opposed to being fired). Anyway the father blames us, the company, for the son no longer working here and his attitude leaves alot to be desired lately.

While in most cases I can ignore the snide looks and under the breath comments, this morning the plant manager walked up to him and another employee and asked them about the job they were working on. At the same time the plant manager engaged in some "small talk" with both employees.

After the plant manager left, the problem employee told the other employee that she was to tell him, the plant manager, that he (the plant manager) was not to talk to him again unless it was about work. Now the plant manager wants to address the issue with the employee.

I have no problem telling the problem EE that any issues he has with management are to be directed to management without getting anyone else involved but I am unsure whether this may become a discipline issue and whether or not to address the whole "don't talk to me unless it's about work" issue as well.

Any advice?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Right on. If the manager engages in small talk and Mr Problem is there, he can excuse himself until the chip on his shoulder falls off.
  • I agree with the other posters. This employee is trying hard to fuel his attitude. Don't fuel it and it will die off.
  • Yet more valiation that companies should not hire parents/children/spouses to work in same company. I only agree that its best to "let it lie" if his performance has not suffered, and/or his negative attitude is not adversely impacting his peers or department. If either applies, he should be counseled that while you understand his parental "anger", you are concerned that he is allowing his "feelings" to interfere with his professionalism and you are confident that he can overcome it now that it has been brought to his attention. Most times its the little things like this that left to "fester" become big deals.

• Don't give it any more attention than it deserves. You'll just be feeding it. Yes, sometimes a chip on the shoulder indicates there's wood a little higher up.
  • Thanks to all for your responses. My first thought was to just leave it alone, addressing it would give the whole situation more attention than it deserves but the Plant Manager was pretty adamant that he wanted the employee "talked to".

• Then, you have your marching orders.

The father needs to be informed, how his current attitude has been recognized and his behavior is being questioned. I think I would give him the opportunity to open up and spill his thoughts on my table and seek a change that will be a benefit to the employee. But, none the less a positive change!!!

PORK
  • I don't know about your having your marching orders. If you don't report to him, ignore him.
  • And what would he have you say? Wouldn't it be a first if we started to discipline employees for NOT chit-chatting in the hallways rather than working? Does the manager understand how absurd that is?

Do you have a supervisor you can talk to and explain, with your Forum back up, why it is a better idea to just leave it alone? Certainly the managers can not dictate how you do your job when you know it will only make matters worse.

• First of all, I agree with the other poster about the inherent dangers in hiring someone little darlin's to work in the same organization as parents who think their offspring can do no wrong.

That being said...if I was the other employee involved in the conversation, I would tell the "offended" party to talk directly to the plant manager if they had something to say to him - that they refused to be a messenger.

Most of the time, the employee with the attitude "gets over it" rather quickly or becomes more belligerent, etc. Since the manager insists on having this conversation now, I would just sit the individual down and state "Frank, I understand that you are upset about your son, Doofus, being let go, but you have to understand that regardless of a familial relationship, everyone is held to the same standards. It would not matter is it is your son or my son. If they didn't make the grade...they didn't make the grade. Now, if you have a problem with this,you basically have two choices - to get over it and go on with your work or seek other employment where you will be happier. Do you understand what I am saying?

Then...let it go...the individual will either heed your advice or you will have to terminate.

• Don't you and the plant manager have anything better to do? Ignore it.

The employee has not said anything directly to you or the manager. When and IF he does, that's when you should respond.

I see no reason to open the door for him to vent. He knows his son better then you do. I'm sure he also knows that his precious darling was slacking and he's blowing smoke.
  • Thanks again for the responses. I had a very short talk with the plant manager yesterday and informed him that we would NOT be talking to the employee unless there were additional issues relating to his performance, etc.. He agreed but initially was a little peeved about the employee's attitude.

Thanks again and Rita - yes we do have better things to do.
  • I think its wise to ignore it as others have advised but at some point if the "snide looks and under the breath comments" continue you may need to come back to the EE and say "enough's enough".

My experience is that you can't allow an EE to visibly and indefinitely have an innappropriate attitude in the workplace without it affecting the overall environment.

Let him sulk now but at some appropriate point, tell him to wipe his nose, hitch his pants, and get over it.
  • Let it ride for now, but closely monitor the situation to see if it merits further involvement.

Take this opportunity to delvelop, and implement, a nepotism policy. This is bad business andI have never, ever, ever, ever, had luck with it. Something always "happens".