Time Clock Help

I need a dispute solved between my plant manager and myself. Our ee punch in on a timeclock, they then manually fill out cards that say what department they worked in, how many widgets they produced, etc. (they can work in several departments in one day). My PM is trying to say that we should pay off of the job cards (manual ones) I say that we have to pay off of the timeclock. If John Doe punches in at 5:05 but puts on his job card 5:00 we should pay at 5:05. Likewise if he clocks in at 5:05 but puts 5:10 on his job card he should be paid at 5:05. My point is that legally aren't we obligated to pay off of the punched in and out cards and not the manual ones. (I agree in an ideal world they would match but they don't always.)Where should the supervisor approve the ot? I think that all payroll should come off of the punch in and out clock, that this is where DOL would look, not at our manual cards.
PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I PULL MY HAIR OUT OR KILL SOMEONE!!!!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The time card. The card that the employee completes is an internal document for costing, efficiences, etc. I cannot imagine the job card matching the time card. The job card shows when the job started and ended, amount produced, perhaps material used. Where would an employee write in the time it took to get from pointA to point B?
  • It looks like Rita intervened in time. I have not heard any horror stories coming out of MO regarding HR personnel going on the rampage and killing a manager. Good job Rita.xclap
  • Just give it time. If they leave me in the position to be making some of the policies I'm sure that I'll have to kill someone sooner or later. My question is would any of my forum friends help with my defense? I'm sure that I could plead some sort of insanity. Oh wait I'm not sure I need ya'll to help with that I bet the ex-husband could tell them how crazy I am.

x}>

• Just do what I do. Take 'em out to the back 40 and shoot 'em. Bingo. Done. Let the coyotes, bob cats, lizards, scorpions and the desert critters destroy the evidence.

If ex-husband's ever told the truth and could reecognize a sane,intelligent woman, they would not be exes. x;-)
  • But to answer your basic question, the DOL does not care which document you use to base your payroll on, as long as it accurately accounts for the hours worked and the ee is paid accordingly in a systematic and consistent basis. I agree with Ritaanzeseses's logic; however, the document upon which you choose to base wages is the choice of the company.
  • Egad! The Don used the word logic and Ritaanz in the same sentence. What the world coming to?
  • Even more frightening is the use of the words "I agree". Don't ya think? x:-)
  • Don: Honey,Baby, Sweetheart: What are you up to? I was so stunned with you using the word logic that I completely overlooked "agree". WOW!

One other thing,that document that Don says is ok to use, must have the employee's entire work day. For example, if his itemized jobs total to 7 hours but he was "working" 8 hours, that 1 hour has to be accounted for, either as down time or unproductive time.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-29-04 AT 02:16PM (CST)[/font][br][br]MO: PIECEWORKER: There is a piece rate of payment for production of "widgets" (value for production of 1 widget is XXX). HOWEVER, ONE MUST STILL HAVE A RECORD OF TIME IN, REST PERIODS, AND TIME OUT DURING A DESIGNATED WORKWEEK! Check Section 778.111 page 9, part 778, I do not recommend this method of payment over the time clock method but it can be done. The recorded time is still the most important part of the rule. as long as you are consistent either the time clock or a job sheet with start and stop times can be your companies document. We use both!

Hope this helps, before you kill someone!

PORK

PS: If required, done forget the time for dressing and getting ready to work in a job position. That time must also be recognized and identified when it is PPE or standized work uniform.