Background Checks and Canadian Employee (NAFTA)

Hello,

Does anyone out here have any knowledge or input regarding the issue of performing a background check on a Canadian employee, hired at a nonprofit agency that serves children, and this employee was hired through NAFTA, meaning that they are a Canadian Citizen, not eligible to become a US Citizen, but eligible only to work for a specified time in the US. How would we have a thorough background check performed on this employee, which would cover Canada? Are there any other methods other than finding a background checking company that specifically does international checks, such as a more cost-effective way since this is a nonprofit agency?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Ana

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One way to do it is for you to do it yourself after requiring him/her to complete a company application with resume including specifically detailing the past 15 years of employment, supervisor's names, qorking telephone numbers and worksite addresses and 3 to 5 business references with the same detailed contact information.

I don't know that the cost of those phone calls would exceed the cost of having a Canadian firm do it for you.
  • Thanks for the input Don. I should have specified that the type of background check I was referring to is a criminal history background check, since the employee will be working with kids. I found out that she will be bringing a report from the Canadian Police Station, but our concern is making sure that we firstly verify the accuracy of such a report for ourselves, and then make sure that we are truly diligent in doing a thorough criminal history background check ourselves to ensure the safety of the kids. I will continue researching.

Thanks,
    Ana
  • Try this Ana...do a google on RCMP and bring up their website (Royal Canadian Mounted Police). Somewhere on their home page you should find a 'contact us' tab. I'd let them tell me how they suggest you proceed with a criminal check at your expense, out of the applicant's posession. Let us know.