Employers Forum: Big change coming

124»

Comments

• No Pork, don't fear. I will be here to straighten out all your messes. I never indicated that I would be gone, only that I would leave if the entire group wanted to go to another site. I realize that you continue to have a problem with my advice based on 35 years of experience since it often does not coincide with your own notion of how things should go. My last several responses to you have been deleted by the Forum Gestapo so this one will be cleaned up a bit. Please discontinue your inane practice of calling me Dandy Don as I have no association with you or your ideas of how to operate an HR Department. If you wish to continue to exist in an environment where we all can exchange ideas without your personal ridicule, please join in without criticizing my contributions. Otherwise, we are not that far apart in case you desire a personal conversation. James, will this one suffice?
  • I think that in the final 21 days we have everyone should finally do real profiles and include real email addresses in order to facilitate on-going communication. James may need a raise to finally buy that Montana vacation home, but we will not be silenced!!!!!!
  • One should never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change anything. It's the only thing that ever has.
  • I get a queasy feeling in my stomach seeing people say they won't be able to stay on the Forum. Not because of dollars and cents, but because I really enjoy all that you've added to the Forum community and the private e-mails I've exchanged with so many of you.

Everyone who's not a subscriber, I really hope you can find some way to stay on the Forum. There are several newsletters that will include Forum access in a subscription: your state's Employment Law Letter, Federal Employment Law Insider, HR Insight, benefits newsletters, or workers' comp newsletters:
    [url]http://www.HRhero.com/employersforum/newsletters.shtml[/url]

I hope one of them fits your needs. And they all come with 100% money-back guarantees.

While I hate to see some people go, I'm very encouraged by all the people who will be staying - those who said so on the Forum or in e-mail to me, as well as those in the silent majority.

The transition will be difficult for all of us, but in the long run the Employers Forum will continue to thrive, thanks to everyone in the Forum community.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Has MLS considered a nominal fee for Forum use only? I'd be willing to ante up for the use of the Forum onl--if the price were reasonable. I know this has been asked by posters but I haven't seen a response from MLS about this. Is it something you may do?
  • JAMES: Let's circle the wagons on this post and move out for the new arena, "pull the plug, James and let's go to the sunset on this thread!

PORk
  • mushroomHR,

Given your screen name, I don't want to keep you in the dark. x:D I touched on this briefly about 35 messages ago, but it's worth talking about more, since several people like the idea.

I'll talk to my boss (Brad Forrister) when he and the other bosses get back from the SHRM convention. We haven't given the idea much discussion, basically because of our experience selling a web-only service. And the fact that many people (myself included) don't like the idea of paying to use a website unless it's part of a bigger purchase.

Some years ago, we had requests from people who wanted access to the Subscribers Area of this website without actually subscribing to a newsletter. We said yes, since the cost of providing the service would be relatively low. But we had so few customers actually sign up for the web-only service that it didn't make sense from a financial point of view.

I'm really not trying to be a nattering nabob of negativism. xx( Maybe the Forum would break the mold. The Forum staff will debate it, and I'll let you know as I know something.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Here is a sales pitch way to look at it:

Today's analysis must take into consideration that we now have users who are asking for a forum only product - this creates a solid foundation for that aspect of the business. At one point, it added very little cost, but I suspect that is an outdated assumption. Today's realistic cost profile should include x.x FTE's. (Then make sure your realistic marginal revenue base is equal to the number you are pitching.)

This may be too simple an approach, but the idea here is that things are different now than they were back then - you have a solid base to build on.....

I know you guys can make this happen.
  • 105. "RE: Employers Forum: Big change coming"
    No Pork, don't fear. I will be here to straighten out all your messes. I never indicated that I would be gone, only that I would leave if the entire group wanted to go to another site. I realize that you continue to have a problem with my advice based on 35 years of experience since it often does not coincide with your own notion of how things should go. My last several responses to you have been deleted by the Forum Gestapo so this one will be cleaned up a bit. Please discontinue your inane practice of calling me Dandy Don as I have no association with you or your ideas of how to operate an HR Department. If you wish to continue to exist in an environment where we all can exchange ideas without your personal ridicule, please join in without criticizing my contributions. Otherwise, we are not that far apart in case you desire a personal conversation. James, will this one suffice?

James and club have decided to delete my earlier message to the pork-man, so I decided to clean up this one a bit. But, I will say that Pork is getting a bit hyper and seems not to be able to assimilate himself into the mix of professionals exchanging opinions, rather he seems to want to insist on some mediocre, ancient approach to problem solving. James, I have deleted all the questionable language from this one.
  • I have learned more on this forum than from any other source - research, classes, newsletters - because the participants' wisdom is born of experience and is given candidly and freely. I am lucky - our company will continue our subscription and I may continue to participate - I too will be sorry to see so many helpful and interesting people leave the forum. If no forum-only option becomes available, let me say thank you now to everyone who has advised me, supported me and been generous with their time and knowledge. And a special thanks for all the much need laughs!
    Linda
  • Thanks for looking into this James and I really hope it works. I'll be first in line to subscribe to the web-only service if it happens.