manager who is drinking again.....

I have a manager who has worked for us for over 7 years. He is a recovering alcoholic and now he is drinking again (off the job with several employees who are his subordinates.) I am concerned with the possibility of harassment- I don't have any complaints or anything in concrete just have heard some rumors. As well as, it seems that there is some favortism going on to those that hang out with him.

Any advice on how I should handle this? I don't want to wait until this blows up in our face. I am afraid since he was an alcoholic with him starting to drink again - it could possibly lead to some other problems. I have already been told that his performance has been suffering - like forgetting to do things, etc... However, I do not have any proof that he is drinking on the job. And these women that are hanging out with him are not being forced to hang out with him, but I just don't want it to come back and bite us.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've taken the liberty of taking these partial sentences from your post:

1) I am concerned with the possibility of harassment.

2) I don't have any complaints or anything.

3) Just have heard some rumors.

4) It seems there is some favoritism.

5) I am afraid since he was an alcoholic, it could possibly lead to problems.

6) I do not have any proof...

At this point, in my opinion, you have nothing upon which to base any action by the company. While I personally have always thought it poor judgement for supervisors to socialize with subordinates, I don't think it is the company's role to manage that behavior unless and until it surfaces as problems in the workplace.
  • AND ESPECIALLY NOT COMING FROM THE HR! This is a performance issue and if you are dealing with it at all it should be through his senior manager.

Current use is not protected and the company should deal with the issue in a positive way before this "blows up in the face of his boss"!

The boss should approach this with a caring heart and concern for the person and not from the direction of protecting the company. Protection for the company will come from a positive intervention.

If your information is social discussion, as clearily identified by Don, you should not pass it own to his boss as anything more than rumor unless you have personal and factual information. Let his boss handle the company actions, if there is to be any action.

PORK
  • What does the "possibility of harassment" have to do with his drinking? Where is the connection of favoritism and his drinking? Based on your post, I don't see a need here to be proactive. Monitor his performance as you would with any other employee, but if you start to carve out "special" policies and procedures for this guy you then run the risk of a discrimination claim, and this guy does fall under ADA. In fact, based on what you wrote I'd say he might have a solid claim....assuming you start to jump the gun based on rumors.
  • "I have already been told that his performance has been suffering - like forgetting to do things, etc..."

Here is your starting point. Deal with the job related issues and address his behavior as it relates to his actual results on the job... Ensure that these issues and conversations are documented. Should this lead to the determination that there are personal behavioral or judgment issues at the root of his poor performance, an improvement plan can be introduced to tightly measure his job performance going forward (not whether he is sober or not). This should be combined with encouragement for him to utilize the company's EAP.

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Thanks - I just did not want to feel like I am putting the company in jeopardy by not doing anything.
  • Focus on performance issues ONLY. Keep the alleged drinking problem (read ADA) out of it.
  • I agree with LarryC.

A supervisor recently called me for advice on how to deal with an employee who "is on drugs". When I asked WHY she thinks the ee is on drugs the supervisor said "well, she's just jumpy" and "she's always hyper".

After explaining that those are not necessarily behaviors reserved solely for people on illegal drugs, she also told me the employee;
    - gave an energy drink to a small child
    - uses an inappropriate tone of voice with children
    - smacked a child's bottom when the child wouldn't listen

So we termed the ee for using inappropriate discipline with a child.

Sometimes the people reporting the "drug abusers and alcoholics" to you need a little help narrowing down WHY they have a problem with the employee.

Focus on the behavior of the employee in question.

• What's wrong with smacking a child's bottom when he won't listen?
  • I believe HRQ is in a child care/pre school environment. I presume they have some rules on how to - or not to - discipline.

Anyway, always ALWAYS, work with the performance issues. However, if someone reports smelling alcohol during work hours, do you have a P&P for reasonable suspicion drug/alcohol testing?
  • I think Don D was just being Don D, Leslie. x;-) We do prohibit our staff from using corporal punishment with the children. x:=|

Adults, however, are another story. Can somebody over there in MS please stop by Don's office and whack him on the rump for me, please? Thanks. x:D

• BUT REMEMBER CURRENT USE IS NEVER ADA PROTECTED!!!

PORK
  • However, one can go from a practicing alcoholic to a recovering alcoholic in the time it takes to say, "I've had enough. I want help."
  • There is every likelihood that his drinking will escalate and he may begin to miss work, his performance will suffer more OR he may even come to work inebriated so you may want to be watchful for those events and then handle them as they affect his job performance. If you have an alcohol and drug policy, use it as needed.
  • Quite speculative, don't you think?
  • No,ask any counselor and they will affirm. I speak from training and experience with alcoholism. Not my own but professionally. The odds are great that his drinking will escalate. Which is why I advised the formite to be "watchful" for this in case it does occur.
  • However, he might also return to AA meetings or stop.
  • And the drinking very well may escalate and that is why I advised the formite to be watchful of that.