Accrued PTO and Sick

Having read the posts under "excessive absentism", I still want to post another question. While it does not deal exclusively with "excessive absentism", it does deal with requests to take time off without pay.

We have tightened down on the time off employees can take and would like to keep them to their accrued PTO and Sick. However, since this has not been done before (my lucky tasks as the new HR person), what is a good way to set this policy forward? Some employees see nothing wrong with requesting more time off than they've accrued, and just no being paid for it.
I see it as a problem.

Advise anyone : )

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, you certainly may keep them with allocted PTO and sick time. I assume yo let emplyees carry over unused PTO ad sick time tosubsequent (and you may even have a "cap" on total time allowed on the books).

And you certainly in most states require an emplyee to use all appropriate accrued time before
    gong on upaid status.

There will always be situations where an employee seeks time off for a leave for example because of an urgent or emergent, compelling need that seems reasonable after all time is used. Whether you allow the time off of course is the employer's decision if the leave is NOT required by law, contract or policy.

If you permit that, you should require verification and some guidelnes on what would be compelling and allowed so that the employee, supervisor, manager and HR staff know and/or the leave decisison maker) are essentially all on the "same page."

Even under ADA you would not be required to grant an indefinite leave or repeated absences that disrupt your business operations (of course how much time goes by when you say enough is enough is what all that "debate" on excessive absences was about).

• Employees are allowed to carry over unused PTO (a total of 35 hours), but not sick time. If an employee goes on STD (we administer in house), then all PTO and Sick time is used before going on STD.
    However, because PTO and Sick have not been consistently administered by the managers, I will need to step in and set up policy. Right now, we have employees who see nothing wrong with getting all their PTO and Sick, then asking for more without pay. It will be a tricky situation to handle even though we addressed this issue with all employees when I revised and presented the employee manual at the beginning of the year. I get the feeling they don't think we will follow through.
    Thank you for your comments.

• Several of our departments (call centers, especially) have a practice called "leave restriction". The managers designed this to assist employees in maintaining a healthy leave balance and preventing leave without pay, which is an administrative nightmare for our payroll people. Our leave accrues based upon a percentage with each pay period...so we don't start the year with a full "bank" it's a rolling process.

For people that seem to be abusing their leave (and it is always a judgement call)by taking the same days off each week, or being in the habit of calling in "sick" on fridays, or just dangerously close to have no PTO, the manager writes up the restriction, clearly stating that this is not punishment but an attempt to assist the employee in better managing his/her time. The ee cannot take any PTO until a certain balance is reached, usually we hold them for 3 months. If they become sick and need the day off, they must return with a doctor's note. If they have a medical appt. that cannot be scheduled at another time, again, they must have a note from the doctor.

No vacation or personal time (FMLA excluded, of course) would be approved, either.

EE's hate it at first...but when they can finally take 5 days off in a row, they get the point.
  • The company I work for has the most lucrative PTO policy I have ever seen. Employees accrue PTO with each paycheck, starting at 160 hours per year. Up to 320 hours can be carried indefinitely. There are about 50 out of the 460 employees who always run with less then 20 hours in their bank and then want additional time off if something happens. Also consider we work a condensed schedule (4/10 or 12 hr /4 on 4 off), so they always have days off during the week for appointments. It would not be easy to manage if you did not have good backing from the management team.
  • How do you handle the employees who have 20 (or less) then want more time?
  • We generally don't allow employees to take LWOP unless it is an emergency. We have a very generous leave policy and it is stressed in orientation that employees should bank up a couple of weeks leave in case of an emergency situation. Regardless of this, we sitll have employees who use up every bit of leave they have.

We have even had employees who requested LWOP in lieu of taking their PTO time! Another request is they don't think it's "fair" to have to use PTO for "maternity leave". (Yeah, you are going to take off 12 weeks and then put in for vacation when you return? I don't think so!!!!)

If employees go into the "negative", this is considered an attendance issue.