Night School

I am so excited! My company is FINALLY sending me to night school for additional HR training! How do your companies handle this - I am working my required 8 hour day (I usually put in about 9 1/2), then travelling across town to the school, and then will spend four hours twice a week for about four months attending class. As a salaried employee, I am told I am not due additional compensation, either monetary or comp time. Since the company is paying for the class and books, I am grateful to go. Do any of you offer a bonus or comp time for this kind of thing? I'll have 8 hours a week of class time, a few hours of study time a week, and about four hours of travel time a week.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unfortunately, no. You are lucky that your company is paying for the class and text. I wouldn't ask for more. But when your review is due, I would emphasize your added knowledge and worth to the company.

Good luck! :DD
  • I doubt that you find many who would pay extra for this. It is good that you are getting tuition reimbursement. It's the dues you pay for wanting to get ahead.
  • You are both right - the company is paying, which is great, and I'm glad they're giving me the opportunity - and believe you me, when I finish these courses, I'll have one heck of a bargaining chip for an increase. (We don't do evaluations - I want to, but management doesn't.) Thanks for the input!
  • LINDAD: May I remind you that leaders/managers are 25 hours a day and 8 days a week soldiers.

Be happy that your company sees you as one, "we need to develop" and are willing to pay for the expense of the schooling. Take the "Gimmies" and do something with it, so that the leaders in your company are willing to spend more in your education and training". Apparantly, you have caught someone's eye and you are in their vision, so go with the flow and make it pay in developmental value. Money is not everything, but if you work for money instead of recognition, you know what you'll get the money, but fail to get the "recognition" which is the most important thing in training and development of leaders.

If you work for money, your future life is short in vision!!!

PORK
  • Linda, Congratulations on your company's decision. I agree with the other responses, but would also encourage you to view things a bit differently. You indicate that your company is "finally sending you to night school"...but then you imply that "you're grateful to go" as long as the company pays for the class and books. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people who work full-time and continue their education at their own expense. Be happy that you're company has agreed to pay for your class but by no means should you hold your employer responsible for your education.
  • I agree with AZHR. Our company enters into a contract with any of its employees. We will reimburse per course for each course, whether or not related to the job, for anyone who wants to enhance his/her education, all the way up to a degree. We reimburse for tuition and books as long as the employee makes a B. That's a mighty expensive proposition. I cannot imagine giving an employee comp time or additional compensation for his personal efforts to improve his lot in life. Comp time? What? Are you serious?
  • Whoa, folks! It was just a question! The main reason I asked is that I am an exempt salaried employee, but I am called on the carpet if I have a medical appointment that I could not schedule after hours and have to miss an hour. If management viewed the personal time/travel time spent as somehow compensable, I wouldn't worry about my doctor's appointment this morning. I already average 45-50 hours per week and work on the weekends - I was hoping for a safety net when I go to the doc-in-the-box today, not grasping.
  • COME ON LINDAD, it is not just a question, you were looking for support from us; it did not come! Our remarks were serious and to the point as a professional body of HRs. We are happy for you and seriously delieve that, like your current leadership sees, there is potential in you, but don't ruin your opportunities by seek help from the seniors. Some companies have better assistance than others. My current company has none; I do allow my assistant who is trying to complete her college degree some flexibility in studying on the job, when she has all work caught up. This is proving very beneficial for both, she has cleaned up a mass of filings and never lets anything linger, so that she has got some office time waiting on personnel action calls, so she studies while waiting.

Good luck and we wish good grades and a great future!

PORK