Manager files on Employees

I've just found out that most of my managers have a file on their employees. What is appropriate for a manager to keep in this file and what is not?
Thanks,
Janet

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Nothing should be duplicated in the HR file. There is just too much confidential material in the HR file to have copies floating around. If you have CBA at your place of work the matter of confidentiality is usually in the contract. This is a sore subject for me because I have to fight all the time with managers who want copies of everything.
  • My opinion is there should only be one file and HR should be the custodian of that file. HR knows best what is appropriate for the file and what is not. If the records are subpoenaed you have them. Again, just my opinion.
  • It is probably impossible to reach a point where managers keep no employee files. The best bet is to educate the managers that their files will show up in court just like the official ones in HR so they need to be careful about what they put in them. Ask for copies of documents so that you know what the files contain.
  • How about attendance records and notes on performance so a review doesn't have to be written from memory?
  • I agree. That's one thing supervisors should keep in their drop files. Anything that will assist them in conducting reviews, short of disciplinary records. A supervisor should not have to come to H.R. and request the files every time he/she is conducting an annual review.
  • Manager personnel files should never be anything beyond a "working file", the HR file is the official personnel file, which contains all of the pertanent personnel documents from application, to hiring, to performace issues, to wage and salary history, to promotion and demotion, and to termination documents and follow on litgation documents. Once a litigation issue begins, we then establish a new legal file, medical information is always seperate. Therefore, the manager/supervisor who wants to stand by a "working file" as available for discovery then he/she must be willing to take the heat for inappropriate personnel information in his/her working file.

HR IS NEVER GOING TO BE THE EXCAPE GOAT FOR A MANAGER/SUPERVISOR'S STUPIDITY TO HAVE EMPLOYEE INFORMATION ON HAND THAT BECAME COMPRIMIZED WHILE IN HIS/HER HANDS.

PORK
  • I don't know how many times I have to continually reiterate to managers that any medical info comes to HR immediately...and how many times an employee comes to my office looking for FMLA paperwork and I ask for their documentation and they tell me their department has it. Argh #-o