Organizational Development

Our President/CEO is a marketing kind of entreprenuer, which is why he was able to start a successful company. But because he is the founder & primary stockholder of the company, he thinks he should function as the Director of Operations. He tries to turn operations people into marketing people, which causes a highly frustrated organization, as well as poor operations; meanwhile, the business development organization is basically unaccountable due to lack of leadership. For 2 years I've been having discussions with him about placing people in the positions where the most value is added (primarily directed at the fact that he adds no value to operations, while marketing suffers). He's beginning to listen & I'm ready to propose a re-design to the organization. I wish we could name a president for day-to-day operations, but there's no way he'll give up that title. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear from the HR pros - creative ideas for designing the organization where the President/CEO is out of day-to-day operations & into business development & PR. I don't care what we call him - just want him where he adds most value. Ideas?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SOunds like you need a Chief Operating Officer
  • Lisa's right. A COO sounds like it would fit the bill, HOWEVER, you really need to do a bunch of things, like develop a job description for example, before you start batting around titles
  • I like the COO idea. I have also had some success with the Executive Vice President position, who does much the same work as the the COO. It has the added benefit of working with an organization who uses the title of President instead of CEO.

I see now that your post had him using both titles. Perhaps you could have your second use EVP/COO to continue the pattern.
  • He insists on involving himself in operations. I hope he doesn't also read The Forum.
  • Sounds like he wants to be in control. Consider asking what he likes to do the best & is best at. He, like employees, should function in the area of "talents." Of course that is what you have been trying to tell him.

Another question is, "Does he trust others to do the job well?" He is undermining efforts & not getting the most from people when he does this. So it is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Maybe he would learn from reading what others say on being in the right position. If so, recommend "Good to Great" - Jim Collins; Intrinsic Motivation at Work" - Kenneth Thomas; "1st Break All the Rules - Marcus Buckingham & Curt Coffman; "Flight of the Buffalo" - James Belasco & Ralph Stayer

He may have been successful so far but now is sabotqging himself & everyone else. Good that he is starting to listen. There is more that could be recommended. Maybe you can have an outsider come in & do an accessment of the organization & the positions along with focus groups. Maybe if he hears the same thing from someone else (he has paid extra money to) he will listen. Good luck!