Internal vs. External ee Counseling

We employ a Master's level counselor in our agency of 70 healthcare employees. Her job is to work with our bereaved families.

When we were small, we sent ee's needing confidential counseling to her. No documentation was kept. There were two types of counseling: referred by supervisor for ee development or at the request of ee.

Now that we've grown, we think we need to stop this practice and look into an EAP. We're we wrong to do that in the beginning and just now realized it? The counselor has investigated it and feels that her license is on the line and perhaps even a conflict of interest.

Does anyone have counselors on staff that counsel other co-workers? Is there a law about this?

Advice, please! Thank you!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know about a law, but I don't like the practice at all. Too close too home and as a employee I would especially resent being sent to a co-worker by a supervisor. I am also surprised the counselor didn't complain sooner. I can see the potential for conflict of interest, but am curious as to why she thinks her license is on the line? You can also check your state's counselor and licensure board or the particular discipline's Code of Ethics. .there might be something there. Whether it was right or wrong from the beginning is now somewhat moot. I would stop the practice ASAP and look to an EAP. "You can not counsel your own" Benjamin Franklin
  • We have sent EEs to our in-house counselors in the past. Our situation with counseling is a bit different, but I think still on point. We have half a dozen therapists including interns who are getting in their 3000 hours of experience before getting their license issued. Most are part-time with us and have other practices elsewhere.

In any event, when our EEs request therapy time and the schedules allow it (we have quite a waiting list for our free therapy sessions), we "...counsel our own."

I like Benjamin Franklin quotes, a wise man, but it is not likely we will discontinue this benefit. At 65 EEs, perhaps our size is a factor.
  • Dear Benjamin: Man, have I screwed up. I've been counseling my children for 24 years, and occasionally my wife and mother. Please forgive me.
  • And a fine job I'm sure you've done Don. .x:-) I do think sometimes. . not in day to day stuff . . that you can be too close to be as beneficial as an outsider might be. I think it can be hard to detach and maintain objectivity.

Interesting post Marc. Sounds like it works for you. I have a lot less problem with people seeking free therapy than the idea of a supervisor sending an ee to a co-worker. Personally, as an ee I would not do it, nor would I do it formally as a counselor. That's me, though.
  • Sonny, I can understand your reluctance and I know from some of your other posts, that you have experience in this area so I respect your opinion.

But just as a bit of a devil's advocate type question, don't you find yourself doing this nearly every day when you wear your HR hat?x0:)
  • You are right Marc, but it is more informal and I try not to offer a lot a my opinions/"advice" unless asked. I see it as a lot different than a formal therapy/counseling interaction.
  • The Army does it! Counsels their own. Have licensed therepist at each base to counsel soldiers and family members. Kind of makes you think about the comparisons eh?
  • #1 There's no law against doing this, but it's not the best practice and I think you're wise to use a "real" EAP.

#2. I don't see how your therapist's license could be in danger unless he/she has done something inappropriate in the course of providing treatment.