WC DRUG TEST

We file our pre-employment DT's in a medical file for each ee. However, I was wondering, would you file a Drug Test taken for a WC claim in the ee WC file or would you file the DT in the ee medical file and just put a note in the WC file to see medical file for DT on this claim? Thanks for input in advance.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have medical and WC in one file.
  • In my opinion, filing is done for one reason, retrieval. Whatever makes sense. If you would lean toward retrieving a drug test result from the ee med file, that's where it should go. If, for some reason, you think you would first recall that it was related to comp and go there for retrieval, that's where it should go. I would think, however, everything related to that employee and his medical or medically related issues would be in one location, not several.
  • szemcumo: This is one post where I have to disagree with "Dandy Don"s" thoughts, but only for one clear and persistent reason HIPAA rules do not cover W/C medical information, therefore, I have directed our filing of W/C information from drug testing to actual treatment plan, to invoices for payment and physician's remarks to be filed with the individual treatment W/C case in its entirity. I agree with "Dandy Don's" first thoughts and that is the way we previously did the filing, after HIPAA, we have gotten a new five drawer container and revanped our entire file vault to insure no one screws up under the HIPAA rules for containment of medical information. W/C is seperate and now we keep it that way!

My day has been Blessed, and my annual review of DOT files is complete, so I'm out of here!

PORK
  • A urinalysis drug screen and it's results are not medical tests/procedures. It makes no differance from a legal (HIPAA) standpoint where you file the results of a urinalysis, regardless of its results.
  • "Dandy Don" at this point in the life of HIPAA, no one knows whether HIPAA will include the medical procedure with personal data and information contained in a medical report form which includes a MRO's signature and decisions.

Since we already know that HIPAA does not cover W/C information, there is no reason not to keep the W/C information and Drug related testing information under the same file for as you say "ready retrieval of like information pertaining to the W/C injury".

The poster can do either, but must do something. I simply try to keep things more simple and conservative. I consider anything accomplished by a physician as medical information, therefore, falling under HIPAA until we attach the W/C label on the physician procedure at which time the HIPAA rules do not apply and thus is filed with the W/C medical information. Our W/C carrier pays for the drug testing at the same time they pay for the office visit and treatment rendered.

It may be a rainy day, but a great one to be alive and well in this a Blessed day. Everyone have a good one!

PORK