Fatality

Calm me down. One of our mixer drivers rolled his truck, caught on fire and he didn't get out. I can't get over the tragedy so feel like I'm running in circles. I've never dealt with this before. I don't want to slip up. Can you think of anything else I need to do? Feel like I'm missing something.

Contacted work comp.
Contacted legal.
Contacted CFO.
Contacted our OSHA/Safety compliance officer.
Contacted the insurance company.
Contacted the EAP.

Additionally the ops manager is going with the police to speak with the family after first identifying the body. He's doing okay, but really shook up. I don't know what to do for him at all.

This just sucks.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is there a way to know if he went to church and alert his preacher to be there to meet your notification people? If you have what's called a "Business Continuation Plan" or a "Safety Emergency Notification Plan", take a look at it if you can think to recall where it's filed. It may give a number or two that you're required to call, but sounds like you have it covered, even if you missed one. Check whatever life insurance policy you have on your people and nail that down. Secure his personnel file. Be sure to alert your employees as to the loss by whatever means you might do that so they will not find out too late to attend visitation or funeral. Also, step out on a limb and order some meat trays for the house and either take them or get someone reliable to deliver them. Good luck. Tough position to be in. Hang tough!
  • Thanks for the advice. Since it was a traffic accident the police have taken a lot of this out of our hands. I'm not doing anything until my ops manager lets me know his wife has been notified. I already have his personnel file. Another thing that sucks is he has only been with us for a couple months - he wasn't eligible for life insurance until July 1.
  • Leslie, my condolences. Been through this a few times in my career, but it's never easy. Aside from securing the personnel file, dealing with the police (who I assume have probably already notified the next of kin), informing the EAP and insurance brokers, contacting OSHA and the union representatives (if necessary), the rest of the necessary actions will come in due course. Take care.
  • Leslie, how sad for you and your organization. I have never had to deal with anything like this. It is so sad that he did not have life insurance.

I find that in situations like this, most folks do the right thing and take up a collection to help the family, knowing that the extra money is really needed.

• Leslie, you've done as much as you can. Hopefully someone is there for you. While you're looking out for others and your company, you need to step back and recover a little support for yourself. We've been through it twice. It lingers for a long time after the shock. You've got to take care of yourself if you intend to help anyone else. Talk to someone you trust.
  • Sorry for your loss. Work related deaths are one of the toughest situations to deal with. Hopefully all your contacts will offer good advice, and I agree with everything shared so far. You may want to sit down with your CEO and other relevant managers fairly quickly, make sure everyone knows what happened and any action steps to be taken, including offering professional employee counseling, especially to your Ops Manager. Then decide what compassionate actions your organization wants to take. While it's unfortunate this employee wasn't eligible for Life Insurance benefits, you do have a Worker's Comp case on your hands that has legal obligations, and to go above and beyond these obligations can set up precedents for the future.
  • Suck it does. Fortunately, never have had to deal with this scenerio, but had a near miss that was bad enough. Hope things are going ok or at least better. thinking of you.
  • We had a near miss, too, very bad injuries, and it's a miracle the guy didn't die. I hope things are improving on your end. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
  • Maybe I am assumining that the contact with the EAP is for the family but you already have this covered. The other employees will need assistance as well and the EAP personnel can come in and conduct group meetings to help get over the trauma.
  • I am sorry for your loss. Words just get in the way. You will also need to come up with a internal press release that lets the workforce know very broadly what happens. I suspect you will need your own full investigation of what went happened just to make sure there aren't safety violations or other items to review with other drivers to try and avoid a repeat. Also, lawsuits almost always accompany these things. My old business law professor said to sue everyone in sight and let the courts work out who is liable. The company may end up on the receiving end of some of this.

Perhaps a company meeting with grief counselors would be appropriate, like they do in the schools when a child has been lost.

Our thoughts are with you.
  • Leslie,

I am so sorry about your loss. You have done everything you can do. Hang in there. We're here if you need support.

My prayers are with you and your ee's family.

Lisa
  • Well, today has been very busy. I was surprised not to receive phone calls over the weekend (not for this anyway) but I guess everyone is getting over the shock. Work comp is filed - and that will be his only death benefit. The employees have taken up a collection. The lawyers handled the press release, and anything else that might come up. EAP was there Friday late afternoon and again this morning - for all the good it did the ops manager and his second in command. They let the employees get out of hand, pointing fingers of accusation that just weren't true. Yeah, that's real great. I'm making a phone call this am to the EAP and find out just what in the world they were thinking! Thanks all for your support - you can rest assured if I need further assistance I'll be back!
  • Often blame is just as much a natural part of the process as guilt or denial and the other stages in the grief progression. So, it may not have been all that harmful for the employees to have a moment or two to shout, be angry and point a finger. I don't know for sure, but it might be that it was just as beneficial at the moment as a scream or a good cry.