Disclosing Salary Information

We are a non-profit organization w/a Board of Directors that are asking me to diclose my staff's salary information. There is real no reason for them to have that kind of information except to be nosy.

In the past 71 years of our organization, we have never provided our BofD salary information of our staff and they are beginning to micro manage the way our mgmt staff runs things.

I don't want them to know what individuals are making, and would like to know if there is a concrete reason I could provide them w/not disclosing this information.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I worked for a private, non-profit the Board could and did have access to salaries, usually in the context of budget process and consultation. They set the salary for the ED so all always knew that. It wasn't a big deal, but they also didn't micro manage either. Seems to me the micro managing is bigger issue.
  • Sonny: Yes, micro managing is the bigger issue. This meeting is for our budget but they will use the salary information in the worse possible way they can. They are from other parts of the U.S. and do not understand that the standard of living in Chicago is a lot higher than a small, southern town. We have no problem give them department or annual figures, but they want to see what every individual does and how much they get paid.

Thank you for your input.
  • maybe you could provide them with a "if this position was located in...." information....so that they will better understand the context of the salaries...

Although, that could convince them to move operations elsewhere!!!
  • I'll take their side on this one. It is the BOD job to insure the organization is run efficiently. Knowing what people do and what they get paid is an integral part of that. I'm inclined to think when individuals do not want to disclose their salary they are making much more than they are worth. If that's not the case what do you have to hide?

If they try to slash salaries it's time to prove your worth. There is nothing wrong with having to do that.
  • The real answer lies in whether or not you are willing to risk confrontation with the board and what they might be able to do about it if you did. I would say 71 years is a pretty good precedent not to break. You could say, "I'm going to decline to produce that information. I'ts never been done and we (I) don't feel it's relevant". Or you could say, "Right! Are you kidding?" On the other hand, who specifically sets the salaries/wages of the employees? The Board may be flexing their right (if they have it) to control the setting of salary ranges. If there are set ranges and someone other than the employees set them, you might just say, "Here's a sheet reflecting the general ranges."
  • I recall a previous post from you about the United Way. I bet they had a pretty long precedent of not disclosing certain info and it blew up like a bomb in their face. Now, they are one of the most open organizations I've seen regarding their operating costs and have turned themselves around. Just because it's been done for 71 years, doesn't make it right.
  • I work for a non-profit with a community BOD. As a 501(c)(3) organization accepting donations from anyone, it is my understanding that our books are open to anyone who makes a request. Our BOD has fiscal responsibility for our agency and therefore reviews, revises and approves our entire budget. They know it all. Sometimes it's tough, but mostly they are supportive.

On boardsource.org it states, "The board is responsible for ensuring that the organization meets legal requirements and that it is operating in accordance with its mission and for the purpose for which it was granted tax-exemption. Individual board members must exercise the duty of care (meaning they must attend meetings, be prepared to make informed decisions by reading the information provided and requesting additional information if necessary, and carry out their duties in a reasonable and responsible manner). As safeguards of a public trust, board members are responsible for protecting the organization's assets."