Union organizing in progress

Received a notice from a local union that they have been contacted and are conducting an organizing campaign. The rumor was circulating a week or so earlier, so I prepared a list of do's and don't, mostly based on SHRM learning materials, and had a meeting with supervisors. Hopefully, that will prevent them from doing something illegal.

Next rumor is that the union people will be at the gates soon to pass out information. I read an old post from Don D in Oct.2003 that if they are on your property, you can tell them to leave. Can anyone give me more info on this?

My CEO says in a previous job he had, the company invited the organizers in and gave them a room to work from.

What do you guys think of that?

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Would not give any organizer a room in which to work.

Get a labor attorney

Good luck. Not fun times.
  • It is not a fun process. It is very tough. We are currently going through this. We are a little further in the process than you are. You may ask them to leave if they are on your property. My advice is to get a labor attorney now, don't wait. They may advise you to also get a consultant who specializes in unionization. I would not give the organizers a room. In my honest opinion it shows that you may be welcoming the union with open arms. Maybe you are, though it doesn't sound that way.

GOOD LUCK!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-28-04 AT 02:34PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Nope, I'm retiring soon and I'd like to see this defeated before I leave later in the summer. For our industry and area, we already have the best working conditions, pay etc. of anyone around. One angry person who was appropriately disciplined is the instigator. Not only the union, but filed an EEOC complaint which I've spent hours responding to this week. We put her on a corrective action plan that included not being tardy for a month and seeing the EAP program. How mean, cruel and unfair is that? She knows that the next step would be out the door.

PS--I have already made a call to one of the best attorneys I know.
  • Unless you have a proven practice of welcoming other groups onto your property without prior approval, you have every right to ask them to leave company property. They are fully aware of that and probably would not attempt that tactic. If they do not heed your request, call the local constabulary. Be sure your attorney is a labor lawyer with experience in 'issue free workplace'.
  • At my former employer we also had outstanding benefits, conditions etc. The instigators were a very small group who had individual bitches. Nonetheless they won. Everyone one of them had resigned within a year, which I recall is not uncommon. Good luck, for your sake hope it is defeated.
  • Un...what was the result of inviting the fox into the chickie coop? Did they say thanks for the coffee and go away? Agree you were the best damn co in the world and giving the emp/ees too much already? Is there a full moon? Is that why I'm so blessed angry at everything today? Gawd, this forum is a wonderful place. I mean it. This is better than $500 p hour therapy.
  • Did the groundhog come back? That would make me mad.
  • No therapy is worth 500/hr. Try this xhugs and have a nice long weekend!
  • You notice I didn't say therapy was worth anything, I just recognize some people charge, and apparently others pay such amounts. No this forum is worth lots more. I've been too busyto participate lately, and last couple of days had a bit of a breather, so have really enjoyed engaging everything. Naw, even the grounghog is cheating me out of my $10000 prize, but I still have you guys and you're worth it!
  • Hey guys, I didn't say I agreed with what was done at some previous place in Florida where my CEO worked. (I don't know what his role was then.) I agree that inviting them in would be sending the wrong message, although he says they voted it down in that situation.

The attorney I called is one of the best in the area in employment matters. If he isn't a union expert, he'll refer me to someone in his firm who is. They are one of the best employment law firms in Okla. Okay, no jokes about Okla, ya hear.

Have a great Memorial day weekend, everyone. I get to be "manager on duty" Monday, so I'll keep an eye on the activities here and talk to you next week.

• Have you can experience with union organizing campaigns? If none, remember this:

They are the enemy!
    They will make all kind of promises to your employees, whether they can deliver or not.
    They will intimidate and coerce employees that are on the fence.
    They will threaten employees that have no interest in a union.

Your lawyer will/should plan a strategy to counter any garbage they sling and any baloney they try to sell to your employees.

Good luck. It's shame you plan on retiring. You will be getting quite an education.

• As I read your remarks, I remember that it's common for union organizers and union whiners to sit, perched on the side of a commode seat and read the Forum posts. Sometimes they'll fly down to the side of the road, like the buzzards they are and comment, pretending to be friendly visitors. Stay vigilant. Shoo them away like the green flies they are.
  • This is nothing to take lightly. This is a threat to your business. I have been fortunate enough not to have to go through this, but have gone to work at places shortly after the drive, many horror stories.

There is an organization that may be able to help you also:

Associated Builders & Contractors, here is the local contact info for you.

Oklahoma Chapter
    1915 North Yellowood Ave.,
    Broken Arrow, OK 74012-9162
    (Broken Arrow-my former home :-))
    Phone: (918) 254-8707
    Fax: (918) 252-5949
    Email Address: Send Email
    Web Site: [url]www.abcofoklahoma.com[/url]

Link also: [url]http://www.abcofoklahoma.com/memservices.htm[/url]

ABC is an organization for those that believe in the merit shop philosophy. They can help you.

Realize that mistakes by your staff will lead to unfair labor charges, but the union will do many of the things you cannot, legal or not.

You say you are retiring, what better way to go out then winning a battle with the union......

My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • My sentiments exactly, go out with a bang!
    It's been quiet for several days over the holiday. I talked with the attorney, who recommend a "wait and see" approach. No organizers at the gate as far as I can see.

He recommended I walk around a lot and encourage supervisors to keep their eyes open, also to play up the positives of working here in the newsletter that comes out this week and at next week's employee meeting.

Thanks for all your good advice.
  • Your attorney gave you bad advice in my opinion. Just because they are not at the gate doesn't mean they aren't reaching your people. Wait and see approach might be a huge mistake. I would not be willing to take that risk. If my attorney said that I would be re-evaluating our relationship.
  • Thank you. My concern too. This guy is one of the top, best known employment attorneys in the region. I was surprised to even get to talk with him on the phone.

One day at a time...this one is about over, thank goodness.
  • Tried your link, it came up "this page cannot be displayed." I'll try another time. Thanks.
  • Have you tried it again? Just curious........any updates?
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • HR in Okla- How did it turn out? Unfortunately, the union was voted in where I work. Upper management is blaming middle management for the union being voted in. EEs are being forced out and others, including managers, are looking to get out. I wouldn't be suprised if the company or upper management got sued with some of the tactics they are using. I have no idea if they have consulted with our attorney, but I can't imagine an attorney giving the okay to force ees out. In the last week we have had 6 ees leave. Is there anything I should do or be prepared for? Upper management doesn't want to hear what I have to say. I always get yelled at for everything.
  • It's been pretty quiet. They are still short on signatures, I heard they needed 20 more. The primary "organizer" is now requesting FMLA and if she's not here, I expect it to die out.

As far as upper management blaming others, I expect the same treatment if it goes forward. That's one reason I am outa here in two weeks.

My approaching 62nd birthday was a nice "out" to retire.

Good luck to you.
  • I wish I could retire, but I'm only in my early 30's. I don't expect to be here more than the next 2 months. I will have been here for 3 1/2 years. I was hoping to work here until I retired. This used to be a great company to work for, now it's a company most people don't want to work for and our customers don't want to use our services. It's sad.
  • Those are indeed not good signs. Do you have a feel for how your personal role is viewed in the scheme of things? In other words, did you attend a union avoidance workshop? Were you given any instruction as to what your role was to maintain an 'issue free' facility? It's not unusual for an HR head to roll when union avoidance was a stated part of the job.

When unions go in, those in the tower typically look at two things. (1) Who was responsible for the conditions that allowed this to happen? (2) Who did not do the things necessary to see that it did not happen? Sometimes the list is as short as one employee. But, with really creative blamers, it can be a long list.
  • The ees view me as one who didn't do anything wrong. Upper management sees everyone as having done something wrong. The managers are viewed as wrong due to not having seen this coming. Attending a union avoidance seminar/workshop was not in my job description. So far the head of the company has selected 25 people for termination (approx. 1/3 of staff). So far 4 "union" ees have been forced out. 2 non-eligible employees have also left. The ees and outside people blame upper management (2 people) for this. This is due to changes in policies and benefits instituted by upper management. I had very little say in the changes. What I said about morale issues did little to stop/slow changes. Things are only going to get worse here. A few people have mentioned the possibility of the organization not being around in a year. Upper management's view is if people don't want to come here for their services let them go elsewhere. This is not good for the organization.

Thank you Don.
  • I'm hoping you have two objectives: Stay under the radar for now, and leave as soon as opportunity presents itself.
  • I am doing as asked and told. I have started my search about 2 weeks ago. Hopefully something better will come along.

If anyone hears about a position available in the Rhode Island/Southeastern Mass area in Accounting Management and/or HR Management please let me know.

Thank you!
  • Under normal circumstances you have the right to deny access to your facility to union organizers. However...... if you have a practice of opening up you facility to other types of solicitations (tool venders, banks, local organizations etc.etc.etc.) you may find yourself responding to an unfair labor practice charge if you prohibit union solicitors the same access.

I would not take this situation lightly. If you add up all the costs associated with unionization (negotiating time, added staff, administrative costs, costs to run an election etc.) you'll find you can plan on adding 12-15% to the cost of your product. That's not even considering the costs associated with work slowdowns, stopages and strikes.