Extreme abuse of exempt status

Anyone have problems with exempt employees working as few hours as possible? We currently have one that sometimes only comes in for an hour or two a day, delegates their work to staff, and leaves. The superviser is the kind that won't confront. We do have a policy that states exempt must use sick/annual leave for any time off more than two hours a day. This is being ignored. Sooner or later senior staff will notice and will probably come looking for a solution. Lower-level staff have already come to me with comments.

Anyone had a similar problem like this, or problems with middle management constantly bending rules? Do you say something or turn a blind eye? I am not in a senior position here, just a lowly Generalist. Somehow I think this will end up my problem though.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Mary Poppins

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • MP: If employees have started to notice than mgmt and HR have waited too long. I would definitly say something to either a senior staff member in HR or speak to the supervisor that doesn't confront.

Our policy for exempt status is that ee have to work at least 1/2 day or else I can deduct from the PTO bank.

Don't let this go further, if it does, morale will probably become poor and that is something you don't want.

Good luck!
  • The direct reporting structure should come to your aid here. The supervisor who is ignoring the issue should probably be disciplined.

You can require exempt to punch a time clock for attendance tracking. Perhaps you should look at some methods for tracking time. Then you would have the ability to charge the leave banks for the time off. Eventually this would have an impact that higher ups would notice, especially when the EE comes looking for vacation time and finds less available than he would like.

Having policies that are not enforced is worse than having no policy.

We have a very lax policy on when exempt staff are here, but we offset that with a very sharp eye on people getting the job done. If the job is not done, then the S_ _ T hits the fan and all bets are off.
  • Dum diddle diddle dum diddle dee..Hi Mare How about converting the bloke to hourly - you won't save any money and you won't get any more work out of him, but he will have to hang around..or..fire him. Who needs him? Better yet, fire both the supe and the eee! Geez, find someone who wants to work. Surely some senior member wants to do the right thing? Surely? Mary?!
  • Can I have their job? I promise I will be there two hours a day! Are they delegating their work or delegating work to their staff? What is their function and is there a job description? Does the person have a laptop and do they do work from home?
    I ask, only because I could see a moron getting defensive saying, but the work gets done, I work at home etc. etc. After you answer these questions, observe and document. Then talk to the supervisor. They are not doing their job, so you have two performance issues. Sounds like it is time to have a sit down with some folks reviewing job descriptions and behavior expectations.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Shadow, you sound like you are ready for the long weekend! x:)
  • I was ready Monday AM! Say Glassboot, I was wondering about your :"I havn't turned into a pumpkin yet.." thread. In my addled memory, it was the carraige that turned into the pumpkin, not Cinderbeautiful. I know, poor Mary, no authority but everyone exlpects her to do something about it. Since I sounded so crabby it has occurred to me, I no longer believe in the three strikes rule. Two is all I can tolerate. Screw up once, shame on you, twice, shame on me and adios. Say, maaybe you'd like a nice big woodchuk to pull your carraige! Have a great weekend!

• MARY POPPINS: Welcome to the forum; this is one of those areas that HRs need to not be the "hour worked police". My company pays me to spend my time on more important issues. It is a performance issue and the responsibilities of the chain of authority. Unless the individual reports to the HR you should back away and tend to your business. I literally do not care to watch my counterparts as to how they manage their people. If my boss the general manager assigns me the task of investigating and recommending a solution, then I will move to do just that. Until then, pour "HOG Manure on the matter" and move on, there are BBQ ribs to cook and fish to fry.

PORK

• ALthough I can't say it as eloquently as Pork did, I too would stay out of it until required. Perhaps this guy has an agreement with his supervisor and is truly performing duties. If he made it up the ladder as far as he did, he can't be stupid enough to not be able to justify why the organization needs him. Either way I see that as another Department's problem to someday explain to upper management. Those who are being asked to cover for this guy will eventually speak up through their own chain of command. You may then have to help clean up the mess, but I'd wait a little longer.
  • ....Or find a day when the employee has abandoned ship and call his Supervisor with a simple, "I've been trying to reach Manager X all day and can't catch up with him. Is he is a meeting or conference?" That will subtly notify the Supervisor that Manager X is missing in action.

If it is approved time away, the Supervisor will let you know. If not, he might actually start looking for the missing man himself.

Admittedly this approach is a little sneaky, but it will get the needed result without being accusatory and at least plant a seed. If other people have been looking for him too, then it will bring the problem to light.

Just a thought.
  • Where this is a will....
  • Expealodoscious Mary! (spell checker didn't recognize it either!) Pork has cooked this one perfectly. Until it's your problem, it ain't yer problem. In the words of a long forgotten sit com character ..."ees not my yob..". But, when eet ees your yob, fire both of em!
  • Thank you so much for all of your input. Apparently this person had a meeting with our CEO a few days ago, and was MIA, so I think it will be hitting the fan soon. Once the superviser has to be accountable to the CEO, it won't take long.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Mary Poppins
  • AND A SPOON FULL OF HR medicine will keep you alive and well in the HR arena for a long long time. Don't take more medicine when a little will do the job. In order to gain power as an HR it must be bestowed upon you by peers, followers, and leaders, understanding when it is time to pull a power string by an HR gains respect for your abilities to recognize issues and to take appropriate action 100% of the time. When we interject out power into a situation, we must be right or face being wrong and the loss of that portion of personal/professional power that was spent on this issue.

PORK
  • Wow Pork -- you nailed it!!!! That is exactly how the HR ball bounces. I have found it the most advantageous to "pick my battles".