EEO/Affirmative Action in EE Handbook

I know that we must include an EEO statment in our employee handbooks, but do we need to address Affirmative Action. WE are not agreesive on the topic, but we do not discrimate either.

How brief can we be in the handbooks?

Anybody?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You should have something in the handbook - maybe combined with your "we are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer". If you are audited you will have a statement at the next revision because that will one of the agreements you will make.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-01-04 AT 09:28AM (CST)[/font][br][br]EEOstatement, not discriminating, and affirmative action are entirely different concepts, and, if you are not REQUIRED to apply affirmative action, I would not mention it in the handbook. If you say you apply affirmative action, and you don't, that could be a bigger pro blem. Some employers, because of their size, products or contracts, MUST have an affirmative aciton plan, that is , they must have a formalized process to recruit and hire certain minorities. If you don't have a plan , don't mention it. Sorry, I should have started this post with a welcome to the Forum. Welcome!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-01-04 AT 09:40AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Welcome. Shadow is right. Unless you are a government contractor with a contract of a certain dollar amount, you are neither required to make the statement in your handbook nor your ads nor have an affirmative action plan (which by the way is a nightmare). But, yes, you should 'address it' simplying by obeying the laws regarding non-discrimination. All the discussion about 'might you', 'should you', 'could you', and the various reasons for doing so, is well and good, but your question seemed to be along the lines of do we have to or must we. x:-)

If I were sitting at a table conversing with Gillian3, I would ask that he clarify his post, or at minimum, state his reasoning behind it.