NEED YOUR HELP FAST

I'm new to the forum and joined to get your input on a particular issue quickly. I could benefit from some objectivity as I feel like I am losing mine.

As a senior director with big pharma,(white male) I have ultimate responsibility for a team of 250 plus employees. My direct management reports are 12. I have managed to develop a successful team committed to team support. Several months ago I assumed responsibility for the import/export department and inherited a manager named Shana (black female) who I have been deliberate with in terms of orienting her to the whole team etc.

The gist of the problem is that after making me aware of an important out of state meeting involving customs, I directed Shana to consult with my admin for calendaring purposes. Shana sent an email to my admin who sent one in return saying that I was going to be out of the office on that day. No further communication was heard from Shana. My admin did not know how critical it was for me to attend nor did Shana communicate that to my admin.

This past Friday when I got to the office I learned that the meeting had taken place the day before. Obviously I was not there because I was not scheduled to be-despite the fact that the attendees were looking for me as management support. I find it interesting that no effort was made to all my cell phone, work voie mail or that of my admin to determine if I had perhaps missed a flight, etc. I could have easily conferened in to the meeting had a call been made. Sine that did not happen I find myself in an embarrassing situation and am left to question the motives of this direct report Shana.

When I confronted Shana to inquire about the miscommunication (?) I began from the perspective of not pointing fingers but ensuring that it didn't happen again. Shana became extremely aggressive and informed me that it wasn't her responsibility to make sure I was schedled for meetings (despite the fact I gave her a directive to do so). When I inquired about why no call was made when it became apparent that I was not at the meeting, she replied again that it was not her responsibility to make sure I (as her senior director) made it to meetings. Her body langauge and tone was clearly hostile. I was dumbfounded and livid. I kept my composure and told her the meeting was over. Prior to walking out of the office she turned to give me a deliberate fighting stare.

Now I must determine how to handle from here. There are many options from the developmental let me explain my concept of teamwork is approach, to the invite HR in for the this is borderline insubordination approach to the less mature make things difficult for her approach. She has appeared to be an intelligent savvy professional until now. I am left second guessing her judgement, professionalism and wondering if she has risen to her position too quickly.

As simple as this may seem i am truly stumped for whatever reason. Would appreciate some thoughtful responses. Many thanks.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since this appears to be your first run-in with this employee, I'd take a reasoned approach for the time being. I do think it is necessary for you to have another meeting with her, and calmly inform her about what you expect of her. It IS one of her responsibilities to make sure that you are informed about what is going on and when things are scheduled. I also think it is a little early to bring race and sex into the equation. This is one of your reports, and she needs to be on the team without concern for those matters.

Welcome to the forum.
  • Shana needs to hear (again) your expectations of the responsibilities of managers who report to you. She may also need to be heard regarding why this mistate occurred; and the interaction with your admin asst. You may have perceived that your "deliberateness" in acquainting Shana to the team is a positive, while she may have just the opposite take on it. There is something going on here, and you want to get to the root of it now. There is a reason this manager took such a strong "I don't set your appointments" tone. See if you can ferret it out.

Since I would want a paper trail, I probably would use a memo format laying out what occurred as compared with my expectations and close by setting an appointment for Shana to join me at a specific time to discuss this further.

• Welcome to the Forum, Terry!

You probably won't find a policy or procedure to deal with this. You'll have to draw on your interpersonal skills to deal with Shana. I had a similar situation where a male employee had become hostile toward me after receiving a suspension. Glared at me, snubbed me, was abrupt and harsh. I asked him to come in for a few moments so we could talk. He was honest in venting about how unfair his suspension was. We 'rehashed' that for only a minute. In the end of it all, we developed a mutual respect for each others' jobs. We parted with understanding. He's been one of our most productive employees since then.

I believe you need to give Shana the floor. Let her talk to you and in the same meeting, spell out your expectations; mainly that what you instruct her to do IS her job. You should meet with her soon before someone else throws logs on that fire.

Let us know how it goes.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-24-04 AT 08:01AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I don't think I would do anything at this point. And, I agree with Hunter1 that her race and sex, nor yours, should automatically be a thought this early.

I would just let some time pass, show her the professional you are and interract with her exactly as you do your other direct reports. It's not clear whether or not she 'knew' you or how well, prior to being reassigned; but, that may be a factor somewhere in the equation. It's also to early to conclude that she resents the reassignment or that she might think you have no business supervising her or her job responsibilities. More likely, the latter may prove to be the case since it's common when reorganization takes place.

So, I'd do with the flow for at least another month. If this repeats itself or if other things of equal (un)value are added to the mix, it should be confronted rather head-on. Then, I think a reasonable to start up THAT conversation would be, "We've got a problem."
  • Good responses to your post so far. The only thing I would add is that sometimes people are overly sensitive about duties they consider to be "beneath" them or their current status. Is this a poor attitude to have in the workplace? Yes I think it is. However, I have seen it happen a lot. People get to a certain place in their careers and they have a sense of entitlement - whether that is wrong or right doesn't matter, it happens.
    Either way, you are the boss - if you ask one of your employees to do something then he or she needs to do it no matter what their position. However, it is important to remember that employees are in different positions for a reason - you have an admin to do your admin work for you, you have a manager to do managerial work for you. In my opinion it is important to enable employees to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. Thus, if you're constantly asking managers to do admin work - for example - they are going to get irritated and NOT want to work for you. However, if you're just asking a manager to set something up for you with your admin once in awhile - that should be no big deal in my opinion.
  • Over the years I've learned one thing that I will share with you. When confronted with a difficult employee if you take a step back, it's inevitable that the employee will take a step forward. Pretty soon, the employee feels justified to act inappropriately and will continue to do so. This is a challenge to your authority and should be handled the same way any other challenge would be. Be rational, logical and unemotional.

Meet with her and lay out the facts. Your expectation was that she would coordinate your attendance at the meeting with your admin. She failed to do that. Tell her the consequence should this ever happen in the future.

Additionally, I would share with her that you interpreted her stare as an act of defiance and ask for her intent. Be respectful, but be her Manager.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
  • Welcome, Terry. Allow me to offer up a different perspective.

Shana has informed you of an important meeting. It appears that this meeting is already set up. You direct her to consult your "admin" for "calendaring" your attendance. The admin informs Shana that you will be unavailable. It is possible, that Shana, not wanting to upset the apple cart in a setting that is new to her, let's it be, thinking that that's the way it is. She is then confronted by you about the lack of communication in YOUR department. Without the advantage of Shana's interpretation and only yours to go by, it would seem to us on the outside that Shana overreacted. And that there is an underlying issue that is driving this. Did she? Is there? Let's find out.

Call Shana into a nonthreatening setting (neutral site without a desk in between). Accept full responsibility for the lack of communication thus far, and genuinely solicit Shana's input about how you both can improve the relationship to an effective and cordial level. By doing this you will force Shana's hand. How so?

If Shana accepts your overture you will know that you have just done the right thing and you can look forward to a better relationship. You will also have established your authority by accepting the responsibility of others' actions. If Shana still harbors hostility, you will now know that, as Don put it, "We have a problem."

Timing for all this is up to you. You seem to be a good manager with your finger on the pulse. Myself, I don't like to let things fester.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I agree with Larry. I guess I am still confused as to why race and sex were even brought up in this matter. Maybe that is where the real problem lies. Maybe you should think about what your thoughts really are and what your problem in this situation really is. I think the appropriate thing to do is sit down and discuss this situation with Shana. Once again, you bringing up race and sex may be the underlying problem in this work relationship. You should think strongly about why that would matter in this situation or if it is just a problem for you in any situation.

Just remember communication is key, if you don't openly demonstrate good communication to YOUR department then you should not expect it in return.
  • TERRY: Welcome to the forum, glad to know we have a participant who is not an HR and willing to jump in and give us your input to HR issues.

I teach to our leaders of the importance of understanding the specific behaviors of followers. Specific behavior is something you can see and hear and in your post it reads to me of a clear need for you to fully understand the specific behaviors of both ees with whom you have and want to have a "very trusting", personal, and professional relationship. It is only the individual who can effect change on their specific behaviors. It is only the individual who can explain the elements of the event that took place.

I see a need to have a private and personal discuss with my admin person. She obviously made some mistakes in this event and I want to know who, what, and why as it pertains to her role as the critical person to address my time. Why was there no note or every morning quick discussion of communications with others about my time. She should have probed the contact made by Shana to ascertain the importance of the inquiry! Getting nothing from Shana, she should have been insightful and asked you about the inquiry. Not understanding your verbal instructions to Shana by your admin person tells me the admin person does not have a full and complete understanding of your needs for her to be aware! I call that "READING OUR MINDS" and protecting our professional nature our our position of authority and leadership. We circle around us these individuals with whom we trust, trust, and trust. If the individual can not understand that relationship then they need to find someplace else to warm a seat.

Shana needs to be approached at a special personal meeting at your invitation over lunch or even dinner depending on the amount of time available. You should clear both calendars for and take the action to set it up. There are several lines available to open up the meeting: "The event the other day left me puzzeled, confused, and perplexed and I need your help to understand what happened, how did I mess up......". From here you can explain in your own words what you thought you had communicated and ask for her understanding of what she received. Then use your active listening skills to the utmost and keep Shana talking until there is not one tiny bit of information left hidening.

Now it will be your turn to open up and lay out how things will be in the future. What are your levels of expectations and standards. Toss in this incident as a learning event to which you expect to never happen again, and that body language is seen and sometimes heard and is a form of communications which can be easily mis-understood and that anytime she or you experience a mis-understood it is to be addressed on the spot and handled to completion.

Like it or not Shana is on your team and she needs to be given another chance to join the team with you as her leader or she has a choice to go play somewhere else on her own or with your assistance.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PORK