Strategic Plan

I know someone out there is or has gone through this, so I know you can help! In my organization (75 EEs), HR is a relatively new function. I have been in the position for 2 years and though management reassures me that things will change, I just have to "be patient," it doesn't look as though anything will. EEs still go directly to Sr and Exec VPs instead of coming to me with issues, people don't know I'm responsible for all hiring (with the exception of officers), and the position is turning into one with mostly clerical responsibilities. I have voiced my concerns to my supervisor and to management, but always to the same response as above. I have also told them that they send me to classes and I learn a lot, but they're wasting their money if I'm not allowed to use it. Does anyone have a written plan to bring HR into an organization? I would love to start the department in this organization, but I feel I'm fighting a losing battle. Any help would be welcomed! Sorry for the lengthy post :)

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tough spot......... I am with a similar sized company, new position almost 3 years ago that was handled half-assed by others in the organization. They had other responsibilities that made it a lower priority.
    I made it a point to develop a relationship with both the field staff and management. I tackled the crappy issues, and have been fortunate to be included in the upper mgmt circle from the beginning.
    Now when issues come up, my input is sought, when difficult personnel decisions are made they appreciate what is done.
    You may need to take a step back, look at those higher than you in the food chain and go from there starting to build a relationship that you are seen as bringing added value........
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I've tried the management angle, which I know is essential, but I always get the "be patient, it won't happen overnight" response. I feel that if I can come up with a written plan, they will be more apt to actually listen to what I'm saying. I don't know how to prove that I can be more of an asset than they realize. Rather than deal with employee-related things, my days consist of managing sales and use tax, going through bills paid by accounts payable, updating FDIC manuals, and being a go-to for any other project no one wants to do. Why can't they see the value in HR and how do I help them see it?
  • One of the things we have done is develop an email newsletter of sorts. It includes blurbs of articles and important case law that could impact our business. The blurbs are designed to prompt questions, which cause managers and supervisors to call us. This has created a bit of communication and allowed our role to expand.

We are also responsible for the sexual harassment training...among others...staying in the spotlight helps.

good luck!
  • Denise makes a great point! There are things you control or can get control of that will allow you to shine. I remember starting a monthly newsletter in my last job. I had the feeling that HR was just an office, a location, a place you didn't want to go. I prepared and distributed a monthly one page letter, front and back with tons of legal tips, labor law, company policy reminders, etc. It worked well. Things like a newsletter, periodic supervisory training on policies, sexual harassment training, have a class on interviewing techniques for any who may interview candidates. No business plan will take you to the level you want unless it was conceived by the executives at the company as a timeline. This is good challenge to have.......keep us posted.

If they resist your efforts to do your job, ultimately you'll have a decision to make.
  • My best advice is to not write a plan, but jump in with both feet! I'm relatively new at my employer and in the past HR was seen as a processing function. Here are the things I did that helped me get HR more integrated with the business:
    1. Scheduled a meeting with each department manager to learn about their role and if they had any specific HR issues I could help with.
    2. Attended at least one department meeting in each department as a way to learn more about what they do.
    3. Spent time in each department with a couple of employees to learn more about what they do.
    4. When I heard about a resignation, I picked up the phone and called the supervisor, asking if there was anything I could do to help and gave them the ideas I had for helping (e.g. schedule and conduct exit interview, create a standard termination letter to summarize benefits, talk to them about the need to fill the position).
    5. When I heard about a potential job opening, I called the manager and asked how I could help, was it approved, posted it internally, helped create a recruiting strategy, had all resumes come through me, assisted in setting up phone screens and providing them with a template for interview questions.
    6. Most importantly - I was and am VERY VISIBLE. If my assistant is off on a payday, I always volunteer to distribute the checks to managers because it gives me yet another reason to get out and about.

Word of mouth from just one manager who had a good experience with you is the best advertising you can ask for. The simple call I placed to the manager who had the resignation of one of her employees so appreciated my proactiveness that she told several others about it (one of whom told me), about how she liked that I cared and proactively offered to help.

You can't write a plan to force change - you have to get out and drum up business and make it happen! Good luck! It's lots of fun!