What information do you present at your Monthly Meetings?

I'm curious what kind of information you present to your boss or the executive committee each month. I meet weekly with the president and ceo, and monthly with the management team. At the monthly meeting I present the turnover for the month, new hires, injuries, etc., but I feel like I should be providing more valuable information. The problem is, I'm not sure how to use the data I have and and plug it into some kind of formula. Something like calculating the cost of turnover, etc. Any help here? What kind of information do you present, and where do you come up with the format for calculations and presentation? Thanks :-)

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Report major projects that you are working on. Some might be: Reviewing and modifying the employee handbook, reviewing job descriptions and adding physical demands, developing an Affirmative Action plan, looking over experience reports (group health), upcoming training (hazardous communications, sexual harassment, drug testing policy review, etc.). This lets them know that you are strategically working to assure legal compliance and protecting the company while recruiting and retaining their Human Resources.

You can key in 'Turnover Calculations' and do a search. You'll get many sites that show you how to estimate turnover costs.

Sam
  • I like to take this raw cost type information and examine it from a bigger picture perspective. For instance, the turnover statistics are just numbers unless you can "peel the onion" and determine what are driving those numbers and what your company is doing about those drivers to improve your situation.

For instance, you might end up changing your employee orientation process to introduce procedures that show the new employees they are valuable to your company from day one. Or you might find that turnover is higher under one particular management style than another and work on training or feedback mechanisms that can address whatever is going on in that department to make the turnover higher.

You might also calculate some numbers that quantify the cost of a single turnover, along with lost productivity associated with replacing the lost employee. These numbers can help drive home the importance of some of your retention type policies which can have the effect of having your managers concentrate harder on some of the training you might be doing with respect to the evaluation process, performance improvement plans, etc.

Take a look at your companies "big picture" and focus your efforts on the ways HR is working to improve the bottom line of the company. That will help clarify the HR role in the company and point to the ways HR is an important part of the team.