What is PHI?

I know we've visited the subject of HIPAA and employee information many times before. I've felt like I have a pretty good grasp of HIPAA, it's applications, and requirements, at least for my job. Our client files are compliant; I've understood the regulations don't apply to employee files since we are not self-funded.

But this morning I attended a records seminar where they stated "All of your personnel files fall under HIPAA." Is this right? Of course, we do treat employee records with extreme confidentiality, but do we need to deal with disclosure logs and request for access forms?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • PHI is protected health information. This information comes from your health insurance provider or a doctor's office in the form of medical records. Employee information that you acquire in the normal course of business is not PHI. This would include: workers' comp., disability claim forms, FML information, etc. Of course this information must be kept in a separate file from your normal employee information but it is not PHI.
  • Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking. Their "expert" really threw me for a loop! Glad I've got my forum friends to set things straight.