Application needed?

Our parent company recently bought a company in AL, and this new subsidiary just opened another office in Texas. I am the new office administrator for the Texas office, which is now the headquarters. So my job is to transfer all files from the AL office to the TX office and make sure we are in compliance with everthing - HR, accounting, safety, etc. In going through the employee files I found out that a lot of information is missing. Just yesterday I went through the I-9's; what a nightmare! I have submitted a list of SSN's from our database to be verified by the SSA. I have a feeling many of our seasonal workers don't really have the legal right to work in the U.S. I'll find out by the end of this week just how many of these SSN's don't check out.
Anyhow, my question now is, do I need to have the employees fill out a copy of our company's application? After all, they do work for a different company now. Some of the personnel files have applications from the old company, but some don't. I've written a checklist of what I need to have in our new files, but I'm not sure about the application. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Applications are mostly an information-gathering device for the employer. Look at the information you'd get from the application. If you need some of it and don't already have it somewhere else - like an HR information system - then you might want to get them to complete applications. But I'd call them something else. It might come across as if you're asking them to re-apply for their jobs. A better approach might be to create a form gathering the information you actually want.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• I agree with Brad. Consider the purpose of the application form and what possible use you might have for the information derived therefrom. If you already have the information on another form, you would certainly not need to duplicate it on the current company's form. It would serve no real purpose. Don't ever require someone to fill out a form unless you have a purpose for the information or some legally required reason to have them (re)complete it.

the I-9s are a totally different matter. You seem to be proceeding correctly with that one. Prepare yourself for a shock. If you get mismatches, call them in individually, suspend them immediately and tell them they have one week to bring you a document from SSA that acknowledges their right to work in this country. You may never hear from some of them again. It's a $10K fine per illegal plus $1K for each day illegally employed.
  • I wouldn't have them do an application. We have an Employee Information sheet that we have new employees complete with all their personal information. In your case, I would also develop a checklist of what might be missing from the files and just have them complete these items.
    You may want to write a brief little paragraph at the top of the checklist welcoming them to your company and then state that in order for you to make sure that their files are up to date and compliant with the law, you are asking them to complete and submit the following items. (Attach whatever items you might need from them). This should take care of the issue.

• Thanks for all your responses; I really appreciate the information. It's great to know that there are dedicated HR professionals that I can consult at this forum. Thanks again!
  • One of the things I have done in this situation is to first "audit" the HR files. Developing a checklist showing the findings and the information needed to bring the files up to par would be a start of the form you are developing. Don's take on the I-9's is correct. That one is a big flaw that could bring you lots of financial headaches.