Really, Really, Need Help Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to have an Affirmative Action Plan up and running within 60 days. (One of our corp. officers signed a contract with a large company, which stated that if we didn't have one we had 90 days to get one -- it was signed a month ago.) What is the best way to proceed? I have Zero knowledge on this subject.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ethel

There are software packages as well as consultants who do this. This is not one of those projects you would want to do yourself and learn as you go. The software is probably cheaper than a consultant. Do an Internet search and start your research. My last AAP plan filled a 3 inch binder!

Good luck!
  • If you have no idea what to do, you need a consultant.
  • Compare prices. Also check with a Legal Assistant at a Labor Law firm who is knowledgeable and puts these things together for clients. But maybe that's a consultant also. Contact both and ask them for a walk-away package price.

BTW - my condolences.
  • Sorry Ethel--what a pain in the rear, especially on such short notice. I agree with the other posters, you need a consultant. Once you get the plan done this year you should be able to do most of it yourself next year. I only use a consultant to help with the availability factor forms. The rest I do myself. Good luck.
  • Once you get up and running I would make damn sure the corp. officer knows what they got the company into. An AA plan is much more than a bunch of paperwork. If you have a class that is underutilized you better be ready to make some changes. SUpervisors who interview better be ready to have valid reasons why they didn't hire. Someone will have to control the application process, etc. etc. Based on the info you've already given, this stuff wil not sit well with your organization. Otherwise you are headed for trouble.

If I had a corp officer make this decision without my input I would be RAISING HELL! Why don't you tell them you decided they have to become ISO 500,000 certified in 90 days.

I bet this is not the only issue you've run into. Follow the others advice and good luck, I feel for you.
  • Thanks to everyone for the advice. I feel better that everyone recommends professional assistance either from a consultant or a law firm. I was feeling rather inadequate because I could not get this going on my own.

At the present time, we are not accepting unsolicited resumes. Can you do that after you have an active affirmative action plan?

• You do not want to start accepting unsolicited resumes after you have your AAP. You'll find out why.
  • Go ahead and tell me why..............the suspense and additional reporting nightmares are edging me closer and closer toward an HR breakdown!!
  • What fun you will have. I am now going to have to do this for our company due to the federal contracts we have recently taken on. Owners are now trying to decide if they want the business or what the AAP. I think I know which way this will go. Anyway, look on the website and look. The OFCCP has just put out a sample AAP (in Jan.) which looks pretty good. However, this won't do the statistical info for you. ([url]www.eeoc.gov[/url]. If you can't find it email me and I will email you a copy I downloaded.) Also, don't forget the Veteran's and Handicapped AAP which are "separate plans within your AAP.)
    I have written AAP's for about 15 years but has been over 10 years and also gone through an OFCCP Audit before and it isn't fun. Not hard, once you get it done. However, the hard part is getting managers to "follow the rules" with applications, interviews and paperwork. (I have never considered resumes in my counts, only completed applications, whether solicited or not.)
    E Wart
    [email]ewarthen@newcombspring.com[/email]
  • EWart: I believe you have to consider resumes in your counts. I used to only consider applications and our consultant said we also had to count resumes. People sending in resumes in response to job ads are considered applicants and must be counted. We guess as to gender, race, veteran status. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's how it has to be done.
  • If you accept unsolicited resumes those people count as applicants.

You can however define who you consider an applicant. For us it is anyone who applies for an open position for which we are actively recruiting. Once a position is filled if I recieve a resume-they are not considered an applicant.

You do have to count resumes and applications as applicants.

However, if you allow people to fill out applications when you don't have positions open, you need to count them.