Second-hand harrassment?

Is there such a thing as secondhand sexual harrassment? I'm thinking of a situation where the boss (male) is interested in the receptionist (female). The receptionist, however, starts going out with an accountant (male.) The boss doesn't harrass the receptionist, but instead makes life miserable for the accountant. Or does that just happen all the time?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think that this falls under the category of
    "---- happens". Until he transfers the abuse to the receptionist there isn't much that you can do, other than to try to resolve the issue the same way as you would if two other employees were at their throats about an issue.
  • Yes, in my opinion it would if the case can be made that the maltreatment is being caused by the boss wanting to have an affair with the secretary but being rejected by her (By the way, if he did have an affair with her, it could alos be that the other secreetary can be thus sexually harassed if they are not treated equally in conditions and benefits of employment). Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall reading some cases where courts have upheld that type of situation as being a form of sexual harassment.

EEOC notes that:

"Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following:

The victim as well as the harasser may be a woman or a man. The victim does not have to be of the opposite sex.

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or a non-employee.

The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.

Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim.
    The harasser's conduct must be unwelcome."

The underlying cause for the "maltreatment" of the accountant by the boss of the secretary is still the sex of the secretary and I assume the accountant finds the maltreatreatment unwelcomed.

Just my opinion.

• I beg to differ. Accountants and Finance people in general are notoriously masochistic and are conditioned to endure harassment and enjoy it. That's why they always smile and tap pencils on the table.

Seriously, regardless of the speculation that 'this may be happening because of that', it would never be proved.

I love Gillian3's characterization 'S... Happens'. Don't it now?
  • We have our ways of "balancing" out for this kind of abuse. It happens all the time in the workplace. Accountants, being the dynamic people that we are with magnetic personalities and charisma, are a much maligned profession. Of course, all of the jealosy and envy are understood and dealt with.

Oops, I just made another payroll error. The harrassers automatic deposit has mysteriously been placed in an account to benefit retired scientologists who will now fill the harrassers mailbox with solicitations for the next umpteen years. As Gillian says "s--- happens.x;-)
  • I think the answer depends on exactly how the boss is making the accountant's life miserable. If the treatment is all work-related, then I would say it's not illegal harassment, but it is unprofessional and inappropriate. If the treatment involves inappropriate or offensive comments about the accountant/receptionist relationship, then it could be considered hostile work environment. I would investigate by talking to the accountant and receptionist to find out exactly what the boss is doing.
  • If you didn't suspect WHY the accountant was being bothered, what course of action would you take? Had you just noticed that he seems to have fallen out of favor, would you address it??

It does seem unfair that the accountant is suffering for the relationship...but you have to have some tangible evidence before moving forward.

did the accountant complain or was this brought to your attention in another way?
  • Is this a true story or just an example? If you could give us some more details, it would help with our answers. If true, how did you come to know this information?