FORUM PROCEDURE

JAMES: I for one, would like for you to inform this forum as to the reason for a particular post with threads to all of a sudden go from easy reading to a very time consuming method of reading each thread in order to understand what is the thoughts from everyone.

We professionals HRs are in this for our value and education for our companies. To go from a quick read and easy referral back and forth between threads to develop one's additional comment or the first comment, is extremely frustrating.

My vote, if I have one, is for you HRhero staff to leave a post and it's development alone; do not change the structure of how we participants react to a thread, unless it goes out into way left field or becomes a nasty thread. Then I would, respectfully, ask that you simply close the thread to further input, with a post that says this post will close in 5 minutes.

Whatever you guys and girls do, do not ADD TIME away from my first priority, my company, by making me click on each and every thread in order to review the total thread! I VERY MUCH LIKE THE INITIAL APPROACH OF READING THE BEGINNING POST AND THEN SCANNING DOWN THE NUMBERED LIST AS THEY CAME ON TO THE POSTING, UNTIL I HAVE READ ALL AND THEN DECIDE TO GO BACK TO "dandy don'S" THIRD POST AND JUMP IN WITH A REMARK OR WHATEVER POST.

Fellow members what say you out there! HRhero staff, James, let this one ride for a while to get a flavior of the postings and then change the mode.

pork

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Pork! Pork! Sit down and calmly have another BarBQue sammich! All yoou have to do is click the words in parentheses (view all). Click there and you will have all the responses carefully lined up for your reading pleasure. Now you may find that number 199 is stuck way up there under number 2, but that's because the 199th poster is responding to the second comment.

Eat mo catfish!! x:-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-14-04 AT 08:23AM (CST)[/font][br][br]"Dandy Don": I knew I would get something from you that is wise and thought provoking. I have,likewise, been a member of this forum for a few months and I have never seen a "READ ALL" DO DIGGIET! Grab my mouse and lead me, and I sure thousands of others, to this remarkable "icon" or whatever icon is. James if this be the case, thanks for sending me a "catfish eater" rather than a very smart and yet wise PORK eater, BarB'que or whatever to help cut out a lot of wasted time. If this is the case James take the opportunity to change this posting with two threads to the more time consuming method with the(READ ALL) icon. This way we will all learn how this wonderful forum works in more ways than, trouble and time consuming.

PORK
  • When you see the index of subjects under a particular Forum area, the list of titles, just to the right of each title that has multiple posts are the words (view all). Click those blue words rather than the subject of the thread. Enjoy.
  • THANKS JAMES FOR SENDING "DANDY DON" TO THE RESCUE. I had infact seen that (view all) in parenthesis, but I had never attempted to float over to see just what remarkable things it might be! I guess I should have ask by e-mail but then none of the other lost souls would have known, with out blundering in to the instruction.

Now that I have done it and realize where it is, James could you explain why change to this mode of reading or is the (View All) placed there for some other reason. I thought the (view all) was a management indicator that all HRs should (view all) to view because the material there was hot or something very revealing and recommended by the HRHero staff personalities.

I have always gone there thinking it was something important and not just a technical way of causeing us to slow down. There is one last week that turned into garbage and 80+ postings of whatever. I wondered then why HRHero wanted all of us to (view all). Maybe that is the reason slow us down and leave it alone because it took for ever to review the 80+ threads and I quit going to that topic.

See forum there is always something new to learn every day.

PORK
  • Pork, sometines I get as frustrated as you also. I do understand how Don explained it and I have used the "Viel All" feature. But, I still agree with you - some of those larger threads still have no continuity to them and it is hard to keep focused on what is helpful or useful through out the long threads. Besides "view all" only gets posted/used when the thread reachs a certain # of responses.:-?
  • But until the thread reaches that magic number of 10-11 all the posts show up just as they did with this one.
  • I didn't realize Pork was so impressionable and easy to manipulate. He has religiously gone to each (view all) thread and carefully read each post because he thought the Forum Police had directed him to do that. I'm going to see if I can get James to post subliminal messages, like: "Pork, turn around twice and stand on your desk", to see if he'll actually do that too. x:-)
    Pork, you know we love ya!
  • How about..."Pork, this is your heart talking...do us both a favor and eat some vegetables for a change, will ya?"
  • I am just about like a "HOG", and will eat just about anything, but I do draw the line on HOMINY. Pork, JUST HAPPENS TO BE MY FAVORITE, PROBABLY BECAUSE IT PUTS THE REST OF THE FOOD ON THE TABLE. Sorry can't leave out the PORK!

With the exception of one or two, was I the only dumb one out here that did not know the value of (VIEW ALL)!

Yes and I did read and go back and forth on those long threads that had value. It was a real time consuming activity. When the subject turned to "tit for tat", I would get back to my regular job. My computer whiz got rid of my "gong" so now the alerts simply collect in the mail box and I then look at who has posted, if it is one you guys I usually delete and move on.

Can you get me to do circles and sing DIXIE, probably, but the price is stiff! Can you lead me anywhere, probably if I want to go. Remember now, My paid "killer" days are in my past and I have retired from those activities, but I would go back immediately, if Uncle Sam called me. So be careful when you are trying to pull my chain! I have been there and done that.

PORK
  • Pork - you crack me up, I love your posts. xhugs
  • Cinderella: I just love your story, how is the prince doing? By the way yours is one of those POST that I always give special attention to because of the little floating and sometimes active WAL-MART guys that keep cutting those prices, Flying around and knocking them down, I just know he is a part of your wonderful story and he gets those prices down and raises our out look on life, just like your story. So keep posting and giving everyone out here a Blessed day, you are truly one of those God given angels in the form of Cinderella!

How about that for what veggies will do for you!

PORK
  • PORK, just want to say that it took me a LONG time to figure out that posts with more than "x" amounts of responses have the "view all" tagged after it...I, too, was left frustrated for many months - don't feel bad - I can get around a computer fairly well but was less than stellar on this one. I wish it had to do with eating more pork, she said, as she munched her dried papaya spears....
  • Dried papaya spears... yum... x:P
  • Thanks to everyone for clearing this up in my absence. It is confusing - I was a Forum moderator for several months before I knew what it was. x:-8

Messages automatically get the View All treatment when there are 10 replies. Long discussions can be slow on your computer. Personally, I click on View All because it's easier for me to follow the conversations.

Messages get a flame next to them when there are 20 replies.

We used to have a system where Forum members could rate a thread on a 10-point scale. But hardly anyone used it, so we nuked it.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • JAMES: Not to hammer this thing to death, but somehow your explanation on the (view all) note is important. The new member like I was when I posted the first time and now into well over 1000 did not understand the real value of clicking on (view all).

When the subject was important to me like the USERRA and the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT issues over the last year, I did in fact read each posting and clicked on each one. When I saw the (VIEW ALL) on others I simply stayed away. The two above, I even clicked on the little box at the bottom which gave me a "gong" or "ping" sound when there was a new message. That drove me nuts and I'm very careful about clicking there. My computer guru has stopped the sound for me and I HANDLE MY CHOOSEING BY LOOKING AT THE SUBJECT AND WHO POST. This helps me decide, do I dare go and find out "Dandy Don" has made a wise remark or not!!!

Help the newbies and change the program to stop aligning or hindering the postings or GIVE EVERYONE THE EDUCATION UP FRONT, to click on (View All) to review all in order received!

This original posting is mine and you can do whatever to disconnect this action to the archieves or just leave it for everyone's enjoyment at my expense and stupidity.

May we all have a Blessed Day and week!

PORK
  • Pork: I will claim ignorance with you in that I didn't know what the view all meant. I too looked at each entry one by one and that was very time consuming. Thanks for braving it and asking the question!!!!!:}(I still can't figure out how to use the emoticons.)x:D

• Pork,

Thanks for bringing up the subject of View All - it seems a lot of other people have been in the same boat. I think we all learn about the Forum a little bit at a time, and I'd bet there are very few people who know about all of the Forum's features, like emotion icons, the private message system, the Read New button, "Email this topic to a friend," bookmarks, etc.

To help others, I beefed up the Help topics under the heading "Viewing Messages on the Forum":
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/help3.shtml#viewing[/url]

I'll also post a message about View All in the section "How to Use the Employers Forum."

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Pork, Thank you for bringing this up. It's very frustrating when the post changes.

James, I vote with Pork!

• Pork,

I saw Jame's explanation on the "view all" button and teased him about it. I thought he was bored and trying to find things to explain. I thought it was unneccessary but I hadn't read this post yet.

Sorry for any offense. It wasn't directed at you or anyone really (maybe James a bit). I was just being goofy.