Smoke Breaks?

5/10/04
We are located in Florida which has a law similar to California's that says there is no smoking in any kind of work place, whether it is private or public. We have a fairly large call center and other office staff who are at odds about how long to go outside the building and how often they can smoke. Have any of you put in place some type of standardized schedule that applies to all employees that says you get 2 10-minute breaks in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. This applies to smokers and non smokers. There would also be a schedule witht he break times listed. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't have a break or smoking policy here, but at a former job where we all worked 8-5, the non-smokers took a 15 minute break at 10 am and 3 pm. Then the smokers went for 15 minutes at 10:15 and 3:15. Our break area was well ventilated, which also helped the nonsmokers. We were all satisfied with that, and there were very few occasions when a smoker ran out for a smoke.
  • Everywhere I've worked in the past 25 years had a policy of one 15 minute break in the morning and one in the afternoon, arranged between the employees and their manager/supervisor. This was and is enforced without regard to smokers or state laws. If you smoke and can suck down one or two in 15 minutes and get back to your job in that amount of time, go for it. You are certainly under no obligation to accommodate the smoker.
  • My experience has been the same as Don D's (minus about 20 years though) x;)

I'm a smoker and I have no trouble getting myself to the smoking area, smoking, and returning to work within 15 minutes. I would not expect different rules to be created for me to accommodate my habit. I have, however, seen folks who run outside to have a smoke, run back to work (so they're gone like 7 minutes) and then in an hour run back down for another quick smoke (7-8 minutes). They cleared it with their managers first so it was no big whoop to me (as an HR person).
  • We have always had one break in the morning and one in the afternoon. NYC now has strict non-smoking policy that prohibits smoking within the building. We did not change the rules. The only difference is that the ees who smoke must go outside instead of to a smoking room.
  • We don't have a specified time for breaks. We had an issue a while back with smokers (the bulk of which were in one department) leaving en masse and staying for much longer than 15 minutes. We could not have 3/4 of one department out at one time. The upshot was when the CEO went to the department to find someone to help with an issue. Half the department was in a meeting and the other half was on a smoke break. Needless to say, the supervisor was called on the carpet and she put an end to smoke breaks period. They can now only smoke on their lunch breaks.

This was not the first time this department had been cautioned about this same subject. They refused to do anything voluntarily, so this was the result of continued abuse.

• We also have 2 15 minute breaks (in addition to lunch)...some supervisors permit smokers to take 3 10 minute breaks instead.

As long as the work is getting done, no one seems to complain.