Random Drug Testing Question

Our company (non-union with 15 locations in 9 states) currently tests new hires for drugs/alcohol on a post-offer basis and employees for cause. They are wanting to eliminate tests for new hires and institute a random testing program. Anyone out there currently testing randomly - how are you coming up with the selection of random employees to test? Software, someone (a live person) is doing the selecting?? My company is suggesting that I make the selections, which I am extremely uncomfortable with. I feel it represents a huge liability for me personally. I feel that, if challeneged, I would have difficulty proving that my selections were completely random.

Need advice from those of you in the know - Help!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would not make the selections personally. As you say, it opens you up to a liability. No matter how fair you try to be, someone will accuse you of being unfair. Our local health care provider who does the drug screening has all our ee's names and each month they randomly select ee's for testing. They have a special computer program that does the selection process. All I do is notify each ee about 2 hours prior to the test. Call your provider and see what they can do for you.
  • Like ray a, the facility that does our testing chooses the names through a computer program at their facility. They notify me the day of the test that they are faxing a list to me. I would advise you to stay away from selecting the names. Even though your selection process may be fair some will construe it as not.
  • I have a computer program that I use to randomly select employees. When it is time to make the selection, my boss, VP Administration, comes in and witnesses the selection process. He signs off on the printed information. Employees that were selected are advised when they report to work the following morning and sent to the facility that does the tests.
    Had afew make noises about how random it could be but when the President was randomly selected, it quieted down fast.
  • Good point about the President, Ritaanz. When we initiated the random program, we sent the GM and all the directors first. Occasionally, a director's name will show up, including mine. Directors always take their turn.
  • We just looked into a company that can do onsite testing for you and choose the employees randomly. We are located in GA, and I don't know if they would be able to do it in 9 states, I am not sure if they are local or not.

If you are interested in this company, PM me and I will give you all of the contact information.