Putting employee in her place ?

I'd like your opinion of taking the harsh approach of putting an employee in her place. Has it ever really caused a change in behavior, or just quickened their resignation?

We've got an office coordinator (administrative support) in a branch office who has spread her wings (& job responsibilities) way too far. She's positioned herself to monitor every piece of information, phone call, etc that comes or goes out of that office (about 35 employees there). I'd heard murmurings about her before, but nothing concrete. Last week, she came into the corporate office & bullied some payroll clerks, & in order to change the payroll procedure for "her office". Of course, HR was drawn in to that little battle immediately. Apparantly, she thinks she needs to "log in" everyone's paychecks & putting paychecks in envelopes makes it hard for her to "log it in." Once word got out of that little brush fire, all the other brush fires called in to tell what else she's done. Turns out she's been undermining very good managers for months now, & its all coming to a head. I was warned that I might want to take a look at the "personnel" files she keeps over there. (She's not supposed to have any personnel files over there.) So I'm headed over Monday to look at all her files.

I'm going to have a talk with her manager. He's a decent manager; I think he just has no idea of all she's been up to. I generally tend to start out performance improvement in a coaching manner. But in this case, I'm thinking of coming down pretty hard on her - no nice chit-chat with HR. BTW, we use progressive discipline, she's never had any sort of warning about anything, and she's been here almost a year.

What do you think? Is my gut feeling of coming down extremely hard on her the right thing?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Come down on her the same way you would any other employee who is receiving their first disciplinary incident. If your hope is to hasten a resignation, it could backfire if you change the rules for dealing with her. If your hope is to change her behavior, I can guarentee the immediate harsh approach certainly will not, I'm sure that after a year she knows a few things about how folks are treated.
  • >What do you think? Is my gut feeling of coming down extremely hard on her the right thing?

I agree with rad but I also question your motive. Your urge is to 'put her in her place'. You view her as a nuisance and an annoying employee whom you must set straight, and right away, with an abundance of enjoyment! Am I correct?

I note that her manager has not come to you (HR) to request your department's involvement. Is it the culture of your organization that HR can simply launch out into other facilities and departments and seize control of a situation and decide to put somebody on a performance improvement plan based on second-hand information and various perceived goings-on? In my experience, a PIP results typically following a discussion between HR and a manager or supervisor, through exploration of possible options to either correcting behaviors or improving performance. And it's always been my experience that it follows a recommendation from Human Resources and has the full support of the manager of the employee in question.

It is my gut feeling that you are more anxious to come charging onto the scene with steel cleats and let her know immediately of all her transgressions with your eyes flashing and your jugular protruding. And, with everybody else either watching or to immediately find out as you drive away.

I also sense that you have some built up resentment over the revelation that 'she has some personnel files over there', when what she has no doubt is bits and pieces of various copies she's made of things. Although she has no business having that, it is apparent that you are focusing on that misfeasance as a major problem when it probable isn't and it could be corrected by verbal or memo admonition.

It's also entirely possible that every piece of information you have related to us was passed to you in various attempts to get your ire up so others could watch and predict your reaction. Don't dismiss the possibility that other employees are sitting back whispering, "Boy is Kathi pissed. How long do you think it will be before she comes charging up in here and takes this woman out?" Think about it.

Knowing only what you've told us, I would recommend you have a phone conversation or visit with her manager to get his take on the entire situation. He ought at least to be the one to request the assistance of Human Resources if discipline is appropriate for one of his employees.

Knowing full how well how some others have reacted in the past to my direct approach, I'll ask that you just consider what I've said, dismiss it totally if you want to, but don't start screaming and attacking me for my opinion. It's likely to be totally wrong, but it is based on years of reading people and situations and a fair knowledge of human nature. x:-)
  • Kathi, I don't know the culture of your office, so you have to take this with a grain of salt, but it looks to me like you're taking on too much of a Management role with this person. You've indicated that you're going to have a talk with her manager, but you're already planning your intervention before having the talk. Unless you're in that person's direct chain-of-command, I think you should take a step back and slow down a little. I agree that this person has stepped WAY out of bounds...if I were you I would be careful not to repeat her mistake.
  • My opinion is that she has been doing things that have been agravating a lot of people for a long time, but every one has just ignored it, but now that everyone is at the breaking point something has to be done now and it has to be harsh!!!!

Huh? How can you come down hard on someone for something that was never brought to their attention?

This doesn't mean that you have to hold her hand and talk to her like she is five, but at least treat her the same as you would any one else. With progressive discipline. You can speak to her assertively and make it clear that you will not tolerate this any longer, but why attack her for something she may not be aware that she is doing? To me, that really isn't fair.

I know a lot of people put off coaching or discipline until the last straw, but that isn't fair to the employee. How long has this ee been with the company?? That could have a lot to do with it.

JM
  • It doesn't make any difference how irritated everyone is, the approach should be the same as any issue where an employee is not performing to expectations. It is the managers job to do that, with HR assistance if necessary.
  • Culture of her past organization's may be in play here too. Her prior employer may have made her into the control freak she has now seemingly turned out to be. Have oftentimes found out that it may have started due to self-preservation - at some point in her career, she may have found herself on the wrong end of the blame game.

As the other wise posters recommended, sitting down with her and bringing this to her attention is the way to go. She may think she's doing what a "manager" should be doing.

A great opportunity to take her under your wing and also one for those out there bringing things to your attention. Before you take any action, would first ask them if they brought their concerns to her directly first or to her manager before coming to you. Tough to correct something you're not aware of.

Good luck! Please let us know how it turns out.