Employee Morale

My company is faced with the strong possibility of having to close one of our branches. This branch has 6 long term employees. If we do have to close the branch, each of these employees would have the opportunity to move into another position in another location (out of state). The liklihood is that they will not chose to do so. We anticipate we will see some employees leave for other jobs before the decision is even made by management.

We have communicated the situation with them and are trying to keep them with current information.
We want to be fair to these people.

I am looking for ways we can motivate them and improve their morale during this stressful period of uncertainity. Afterall, for as long as the branch is open, they need to continue to do their jobs and serve our customers well.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I doubt that you can do much to improve morale or motivate people who are about to lose their job. Some employers get a little bit of what they would like (continued good work) by offering a bonus to those who stay until the end.
  • Gillian is on the 'money' in her response. The only way to make them feel better about this is to give them a bonus to stay to the end and maintain a somewhat positive attitude. If you are expecting employees act like everything is fine, that won't happen. In addition to the bonus, I would suggest an outplacement company be retained to assist these employees in getting resumes done and prepare them for the job search and interview process.

I know it sounds like a huge financial expenditure, but it usually pays off in the long run.
  • The company needs to assess exactly "How important is it for this person or that person to remain in their position to the very end to close the doors and lock the locks". Depending on how important it is will dictate your decisions on how you will handle the seperation of each individual. Those essential and critical personalities should be considered for a "whopping close out bonus". I have seen a years pay provided to the branch manager to stay to the last day; the perks will be very important because they will have their resume's on the street and your decision must be in their mind "I WILL GIVE UP X TO TAKE THIS NEW POSITION". YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT LOYALITY FROM THE EE; BANK ONLY ON THE INDIVIDUALS PRIOR BELIEFS AND PERSONAL VALUES. While it is always a business decision to make strategic location changes you are dealing with people. The company has already burned the bridge from the company to the ee with your announcement; what you now want is for the ee not to burn the bridge to the company before the final key is turned. To get that, it will take either a close-out team from out side or a close-out team from inside. Send "J" from branch z to run branch A and return to branch Z with a special thank you bonus for a job well done. A current critical person can be a part of the close-out team but you must make it worth their while to take care of the customer and the company while it colapses around him/her.

PORK

• My thanks to the three of you for responding. I really like the bonus suggestion and the outplacement suggestion a lot. Our desire was to NOT burn the bridge by being open about the possible closure (and not waiting until the very end to make the announcement) and offering employment elsewhere. Rewarding those who are willing to stay with us through the process is a great idea and would alleviate some stress on both sides!

Thanks again!

• SSJ

I lived through this 2.75 years ago. We closed an entire manufacturing facility of 400. In order to process everyone out and still maintain a decent attitude, a bonus of my salary was given for every week I remained on. Esstentially I was making twice my salary. In addition the outplacment company took my resume information and whipped me up a great resume while I was processing the employees final paperwork. It really did make a difference. I was able to cope with those who needed to come in and cry, scream and be angry.

And when I along with the rest of the closing team locked the doors and drove away that final time, I felt the company had done right my me. In addition I received a generous severance package, that based on my 9 years of service I received 6 months of pay and benefits. As fate would have it I received a job offer the final week of my severance. Now when I look back the experience was a good one.
  • You may know that your state (I live here too) has a 'Rapid Response Team' that comes into play in situations of announced closure. It won't gain you a lot of loyalty, but it might make the employees feel better about the company. This group or their representative(s) will come on site or invite your guys to a central location. They may not want to pull out all the stops for just six employees, but they will definitely take a burden off you. They can provide your people with information on job placement, unemployment insurance (they'll even take the claims en masse), financial problems, banking, community services, family counseling, training opportunities and a variety of other things. This will keep your people from having to be so anxious about having to call and run all over the metro area for such information. Call your WIN Job Center in Canton or Jackson. If you are disattisfied with any of the process, call the governor's hotline. If you get nowhere with any of it or reach a point of frustration, call me. 853-7204. You should also link up with the area HR Manager's group which could possibly help you and your people land other opportunities. This is a smaller group, not the huge SHRM affiliated buffet club that's loaded down with all the vendors. x:-)
  • Yours is a difficult position but I am very glad to see that your company is willing to do the right thing. I've lived through it twice - once was a positive transition and the second, well, it was one of those times when you really learn what NOT to do. #-o

The layoff that went well was due to the loss of a contract. Upper management had a plan in place, a timeline for the transition, outplacement assistance to those of us that were not picked up by the new contractor, and they showed compassion.

The one that left all involved frustrated and angry was when the company sent a rep down who the office staff barely new (other then in name) and he pretty much just said, "we're closing the office, you'll be laid off, but we don't know when, we don't know who's going to pick up your jobs, and we don't know what to tell you as to what severance or benefit package you may get. This was the same company that had cut our staff in about half a little more then a year prior - that layoff round provided double severance, 6 months health care, and an awesomely wonderful outplacement team. The round I was caught up in got no extended health care, double severance only because we fought tooth and nail for it, and multiple versions of our lay off letter because they just couldn't get it right, even after their attorneys looked at them.

But the biggest problem was that upper management had absolutely no plan. They couldn't give us any details about what to do with our jobs and current projects. To say it was a mess is an understatement.

So my best piece of advice is to keep them informed and get a plan finalized as soon as possible - and share it with them. Include in the plan not only what each employee will get (severance, retention bonus, health, etc) but what is expected of them, who and how to transition their jobs, and other information they will need.

Good luck,