employees not getting along

Good morning all from KY ,
I'm looking for some advice.
We have 2 ees that tolerate each other face to face, but 1 says some pretty harsh things behind the others back. These 2 ees are from Vietnam and the eldest of the 2, has said some real nasty things about the youngest ones family members. I know this may sound petty, but the ee is getting real upset. He has told me that if it happens again, he will take matters into his own hands. I have not sat down with either ee yet and discussed the ramifications. Do I talk to them or do I let it go. This happened about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Regardless of their ethnicity, if I perceived that this might possibly develop into a confrontation on company property or could affect the profitability of the company, here's what I would tell them both, in the same room at the same time: "Look, I don't care whether you two like each other or not. But, you ARE expected to work together and conduct yourselves as gentlemen while on company property. If either of you abuses or harasses the other, in any way, on company property, from this point forward, your employment will be terminated immediately. Have you understood what I have said?" I would dispense with any notion of separating them by moving one or the other. I wouldn't waste that much time on it. Be prepared to fire one or both of them.
  • He has told me that if it happens again, he will take matters into his own hands.

No need to repeat Don's advice - he's in the bullseye. Just do it soon! Especially if one employee says he'll take matters into his own hands TWO WEEKS AGO!

"Sam"

• sounds like it could come to workplace violence. Why did you wait so long (2 weeks?) to address it? I would have confronted both EE immediately. Sit them both down and tell them to cut it out - you don't expect them to be friends however, they need to work together. I would also say that if you get one more complaint, one act of hostility or retaliation, you'll take it into YOUR own hands and they won't be happy with the outcome.

IF THERE IS A REAL THREAT OF VIOLENCE - CALL 911!!!

L--
  • I had a somewhat similar situation years ago and handled it exactly as others are suggesting - the manager called both employees into the same room at the same time and told them essentially what Don D. suggests to say - "you have to work together, don't care if you don't like each other, but these petty games WILL stop or else disciplinary action will result, including termination of employment". It worked for us. You need to have your manager address it immediately!
  • I agree totally with Don. I have had to address similar issues before with employees and asking them to "play nice, pretty please" does not work. You have to be straight forward and let them know in no uncertain terms that their jobs depend on them getting along at work.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-11-04 AT 10:03AM (CST)[/font][br][br]If this was sexual harassment, you would have done it two weeks ago. In the eyes of the law harassment of any kind, once reported, the company must take action. You and your company could be held negligent should this person come in and "take things in his own hand" and blows the other employee or you the HR AWAY, because you did not attempt to stop the harassment. Do not wait another minute get to the task at hand!

PORK