Help - Exempt Pay Question!!!!!

I have an exempt employee who originally submitted their resignation letter for 5/7/04. However due to other circumstances, the employee has moved up their resignation to today, 5/6/04.

Since this employee is an exempt employee, and we are paid on a bi-monthly basis, when we run payroll on 5/17/04, I am planning on paying the employee their normal salary (again since they are an exempt employee) and then also pay out their unused vacation per CO state law.

Here is my problem, the supervisor (also a VP of the organization) wants to deduct the employee for one day of pay because they moved up their resignation date to today and since they will not be working tomorrow; their original resignation date. Am I under the correct assumption that I cannot deduct the employee for one day of pay since they are an exempt employee and since they moved up their resignation date? If this employee would have originally submitted their resignation date as 5/6/04, I would have still paid them their full salary on our next payroll date so I don’t see the difference. Your comments / input is needed quickly. Thanks.

Comments