Witness Protection

Just when I think I've heard it all, something else comes along and I don't have a policy for this one.

A few weeks ago, one of our overnight bellmen was late for his shift. Subsequently a police officer called and advised that he had been witness to a crime and that he was in protective custody at the time. The employee came back to work the following day and said he had to testify in court and that everything was okay.

Today, I found out that the employee had witnessed a woman being beaten and thrown from a car. When he stopped to assist her, he was shot at. The police asked him to cooperate to try to identify the car from which she was thrown. Evidently the perps saw him and subsequently carjacked and kidnapped him with intent to kill him. He somehow escaped and now is being moved from hotel to hotel within the city and is under surveillance by detectives day and night until he can testify in court regarding the incidents.

I asked him why he didn't allow them to move him out of the city as they had recommended and he said he needed his job. He has a wife and small child to support.

I certainly don't want to punish this gentleman for doing the right thing, but there are liability issues here. I cannot risk other employees or guests safety so I cannot let him continue to work. It could be up to six months before this gets to trial, so we don't have any paid leave alternatives for this young man.

What would you do?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can you find him a Job INSIDE your building so he is not a 'sitting duck' while at work? That's what I would do. If your company is big enough, or economically able, I'll also offer to get him to work in a Taxi,or a hired car, rather than by public transportation if that is how he gets tow work. He'll be safer. Help this guy out all you can, without putting your ees and customers at risk. he's been through enough, do the right thing.
  • Tell the District Attorney your policies do not have a safety net for this guy. The DA will find funds to pay the guy the equivalence of his wages, otherwise, he has no case to present. You are right to consider the safety of your guests and others first.
  • Do you have an alternate location, perhaps out of state, for him to work in? Perhaps if he knew he could work and still support his family he may be willing to relocate for a while. Poor guy, trying to do the right thing. I hope everything turns out ok and he stays safe.
  • Unfortunately, we're a small family owned business and don't have any alternate locations for him. Compounding the issue is that he works the overnight shift when we staff only one Bellman and one Desk Clerk.

We're trying to reach the DA's office now to see if they can assist him and we'll put him on leave until this is all over. We can't assume the liability that someone might come after him and harm another employee or one of our guests.

• We had to do something similar with a desk clerk at one of our properties, but in her case it was an abusive spouse insistent on violating a TRO who kept showing up on property. We put her on a leave of absence due to lack of work. This enabled her to collect unemployment insurance until things settled down and we were able to bring her back. I don't know what your state laws are regarding unemployment compensation but something similar might work for you.
  • Believe it or not, our best resource for helping abuse victoms are the unions. Is this man a union member? If so, I wonder if there is anything they could do to help.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-06-04 AT 07:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br]RAD: An admirable idea; however, I would never let this sort of sensitive information out to the magnitude of alerting the local union as to the circumstances. That's the best way I know to get him bumped off. The D.A. holds the key to this man's protection and income, and has more of a stake in this than anybody on earth.
  • As we all know, OSHA requires the company to provide a safe working environment for employees while on the job. This means protecting the "targeted" employee while on the job as well as co-workers and guests.

Just a few weeks ago we had an employee who was targeted by his daughter's boyfriend in a domestic squabble in which the boyfriend was seeking to "off" the entire family. Threat was real in that assailant had outstanding warrant for attempted murder. Employee felt safer coming to work and we took extra measures. We are already a lock-down secure facility, but provided employee with company car so that assailant would not look for recognized car. We also had a "regular"; i.e. armed police officer on the premises until we thought the threat was no longer imminent.

I know that being a larger company we can afford to offer a little more than a small company, but just offering the above comment for what it is worth.