Office Politics

Have a problem and I'm looking for fast input, because frankly I've never dealt with office politics on this scale before. Maybe I've just been fortunate in my career up until now.

In the past several weeks I have had four managers (each of whom runs a division of the company) and two staff members come to me with complaints about a micromanaging assistant controller who is allegedly interfering with their ability to do their jobs effectively. I do not want to bore you with specific examples here because this post will be long enough as it is. However, I can assure you that some of the behaviors and examples provided lead me to believe that this assistant controller is definitely trying to insinuate herself into other managers' territories and throwing unwarranted speedbumps in their paths on the highway to profitability. When these complaints were first brought to me, I asked if they had talked to the controller, since he is her direct supervisor, and have been told in each instance he doesn't have a problem with her and he brushes off their complaints.

As the HR manager these employees have each come to me complaining about a condition of employment that affects their morale and their ability to do their jobs. In accordance with our policies, I am responsible for at least bringing the situation to the attention of the controller and, if that does not bring some resolution to the situation, to the controller's supervisor, i.e., the owner of the company. If that transpires and the owner of the company doesn't feel any corrective action is required, I am very afraid I will have a mass mutiny on my hands - many of the complaining employees are valued, long-term (10 years plus) associates who do not whine easily and have a high tolerance for pain - so I do give their allegations substantial weight. Furthermore, she has tried to "streamline" some HR functions (while I've been out of town) and, frankly it irritates me. And lest you think this is personal, the streamlining she was proposing involved adopting procedures we threw out three years ago as unwieldy and unduly burdensome.

I don't want to lose good employees - don't even necessarily want to lose the asst. controller. I just want to figure out some way to get her to moderate her behavior. I'm tired of having to listen to the complaints about her not only from those in positions of power, but her direct reports!

If anyone has any great ideas (that don't involve committing a felony), I'm all ears.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You have tried talking to her immediate supervisor and have not had a response that will eleviate the others complaints.

Now you need to sit down with the asst controller and let her know tactfully that she has her own job to do and unless these other depts are part of her job scope to let the current mgrs handle the day to day events if at some time they ASK for her input by all means produce any concerns or solutions to them that would benefit the productivity of the dept and company but ultimately it is there decision to implement them.

I would also be concerned that this person has so much time on her hands to be micromanaging other depts maybe she needs more tasks to keep her busy.

• As I am not always known for my tact I would sit down with the controller and revisit the issue. WHen they say they have no problem I would say, while you may not see a problem, I and a number of other managers do. I would point out specific issues like you have in your post.
    SOmeone needs to remind the assistant controller that they are support staff, and if they hinder instead of support, then someone who is a better fit may be needed.
    I would also talk to the supervisors individually, let them know that you are addressing it. If the situation is not corrected, they may need to work together to show the assit. controller, that they are in a support position. :-)
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I would sit down with her boss and tell him that you've received official complaints about her behavior. Give him specifics but not names. Advise him that if the complaints continue, you'll need to step in an perform an investigation since it is affecting other employee's performance and the performance of the company (usually once they hear that, they'll take you seriously).

After that conversation, I suggest that both of you (you and her boss) have a sit down with this employee and discuss the complaints against her (again, try not to mention any names) and get her side of the story about the specific incidents brought to your attention. Be sure to document everything.

Also, be sure to advise her that any retaliation on her part will not be tolerated and could be subject to disciplinary action. Also, you don't want her confronting any of the other employee's about the situation.

I would also have an up-to-date job description for her handy so that you can review it with her during the meeting. At the bottom, have a signature line so that she can sign it acknowledging she's read it and provide her a copy.

Sorry this is so long, I've done this before....

• You mention that staff has gone to her boss, but has anyone confronted/talked to HER?
  • A lot of problems that come up with new hires are products of their previous environment.

In their previouse place of employment, this could possibly be what she had to do. Maybe she was the fixer. If something wasn't working or working to her liking, it got changed.

It takes a while for new employees to get adjusted in new positions. Especially ones of management. They feel they need to assert themselves to show they are capable of being a leader, they carry over bad habits and traits from past employers and they don't quite know the culture of the current company, so all they have to go on is the culture of the past company.

Maybe instead of "counseling" this person for complaints, you can take this and look at it as an opportunity to coach her on your company's culture and to invite her into it.

By the sounds of it, you have an easy going, laid back office, and she is running through there like a charging bull. Help her realize that isn't necessary and that things will get accomplished more effectively and efficiently if she works with other managers to reach common goals.
  • Allow me to assume my evil-twin persona just to offer a different view for the heck of it. There is an opportunity here for your personal advancement. Please don't misunderstand my intent: what little I know of you seems to indicate that you're far too moral to think this way, however I don't have that problem (wink). Anyway, if you play this right you could bump this up the chain-of-command in such a way that when the mutiny occurs you will look like a visionary for alerting upper management to an impending disaster. Just make sure that your behavior and presentation is not seen as mutinous, but rather as productive problem solving. Hey, maybe a good mutiny is what is required here to get things changed, so why shouldn't you profit from it? Have I been watching too many Sopranos episodes?
  • no - because in the Sopranos if they have a problem, they just "wack 'em" and be done with it and forgetta about it...

• Of course the other thing that may be happening.....is it is possible, the Controller is using the new person to push forth change that needs to happen.....letting them be the bad guy. Sounds like it is probably not the case, however, it could be.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I think it's has something do to with Controllers because our Controller constantly steps on other managers toes, tries to take over other EE responsibilities, etc. I actually had one employee tell her to cut the crap.... and suprisingly enough, it worked for a while. She's tried with me as well and I just ignore her and then ask her for all the reports she's supposed to be providing me and she turns and walks away.
  • My thoughts exactly, Baloonman. As an operations manager, I was once sent to a division of the company for the sole purpose of straightening some things out. Of course they hated me for rocking their boat, & many complaints were filed with my boss. What they didn't realize was that my boss was perfectly happy to send me to do the dirty work instead of having to do it himself. The more complaints he got, the more confident he was that I was on the right track. The whole situation was hard for me, as I prefer to nurture a team, but the team was in need of some pruning, so I did the job.

Perhaps your assistant controller has her boss' blessing for rocking the boat (which is why he has no problem with it). You might want to get some clarity on that. It really all boils down to whether the assistant is doing what she was told to do, or whether she's out of line. (They don't call it politics for nothing!)
  • Beagpuss: What I find strange is that 4 long term managers go to the controller and nothing happens. He brushes it off, etc.

Perhaps 2 cents is right, the asst controller is following orders. Depending on the relationship you have with the controller, you should find a way to discuss this with him.

You could always explain that part of your job is to look into personnel matters that affect performance and morale. That's why you get the big bucks. x:P
  • The 'following orders' scenario was one of the first things I thought of, and if this is her charter, I don't have a problem with it (although keeping her charter a secret from the managers she has to work with is probably fodder for another post altogether). However, regardless of whether she is following orders or acting unilaterally, the fact remains that I, in HR, have been presented with an employee issue that must be addressed and I have MY hoops to jump through.

• Beaglepuss, are we in agreement???

x:o
  • It would appear so, Ritaanz. x;-)
  • Holy molely! Quick, let me buy you a microbrew to celebrate. This doesn't happen often and one has to commemorate the occassion.

Na zdovie! To your health!

• Spaceba, ritaanz. Tui govorit parusski? x;-)
  • Who's buyin? I'll have mustard on mine thank you.
  • Isn't there some rule in the fine print that this is an English speaking only forum?
  • Nah...nah...nah,nah,nah Eat your heart out.