Viewing Resumes On-Line

Just wondering, does anyone subscribe to Monstor or Careerbuilder and pay for the ability to look at resumes of job seekers?
If so what success have you had? It costs about $700, so I was wondering if the juice was worth the squeeze............... Your input is appreciated.
My $0.02 worth!
DJ The Balloonman

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I used Monster and Careerbuilder from 1999 to 2001 with great results. I was searching for specialty engineering positions that had I used a search firm would have cost me $20k each. At the time I had 40 positions open and it was worth the cost. The majority of the positions I filled myself without a search firm.

Things to think about
    1. The types of positions you are searching for and the number open.
    2. Are you disciplined enough to use it daily and sort through coal to get the diamond
    3. Are you willing to pay relo?
    4. A large majority of the engineering resumes were foreign nationals requiring sponsorship.

• I've always used Monster and I love it. Keep in mind I mostly hire for exempt level positions in engineering, IT, administration, finance, HR, etc.

I agree with the things NM Tom has posted to think about before subscribing. I would also like to point out that a lot of the resumes are from students and new grads. Also, learning HOW to search Monster for resumes is an art/science. You have to play with the search criteria and find what works for you and the particular position you are sourcing for. I usually do very broad searches because you never know what you'll find (hey, I'm a recruiter...might find someone for another position!). Also, be sure to check if people who "almost" fit your criteria have listed references that you can call or email to see if THEY are interested or know someone who might be. It doesn't work in all situations, but in high-tech references are a goldmine. x:)
  • We are in the food industry and for me Careersinfood.com is so much affordable than Monster and Careerbuilder and with so much better results. For IT personnel there is a website with highly qualified IT candidates and it cost 70% less than Monster and Careerbuilder.

• I don't do it and I don't think I ever will b/c people post resumes out there and then forget about them.

Honestly though, I don't have time to sit there and look through unsolicited resumes. Do you?

I don't see the benefit of searching all of those resumes when you can place an ad for half the cost and get 300 responses in a week. It's pretty much doing the same thing, isn't it?
  • >I don't see the benefit of searching all of
    >those resumes when you can place an ad for half
    >the cost and get 300 responses in a week. It's
    >pretty much doing the same thing, isn't it?

I have the new Monster nationwide, unlimited search package and let me tell you, the search functionality is AWESOME! You are no longer limited by State, Education, Career Level, etc. Now, I can actually search specifically for candidates that last worked for a specific company, for example. Not only that, but I am able to exclude resumes posted longer than 1 month ago, for example (which alleviates another concern you mentioned).

Again, the mainstream boards are great for mainstream requirements/skillsets. They will never replace non-traditional channels for specialty or highly technical/niche positions.

Gene

• My experience with the mainstream boards (Monster and Careeerbuilder) is that they are great for mainstream requirements.

I have had very little success finding niche candidates or highly specialized/technical skill sets.

Gene
  • Dear 2 cents: I find that placing an opening on-line, gives me the results I'm looking for with much less hassle.

To me, the cover letter is a significant door opener. When you cruise the boards, you generally only get to review the resume. I know that of the 300 responses only 20% may match your opening but that goes with the territory.
  • A few months ago I was posting an ad on Monster. The rep offered me the opportunity to look at resumes and said "I even have one from your town." It was one of my employees. The good part is we got a heads up on his leaving.

I've had the best results posting on job specific sites like ihirebanking or bankjobs. They tend to be a little less expensive and the candidates are more local and qualified.