Florida Termination

I am a HR Coordinator for a plant in SC. My corp office just called me and asked me to get termination papers together for an employee in Florida. I am not familiar w/ Florida laws. In Florida, if you terminate someone, when do you have to pay them their last paycheck? Is it the next applicable pay period or the day you terminate? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks for not asking about Minnesota. I'd have to write a book for you. Someone from Florida will be right with you, I'm sure. Good luck.

Larry from the Land of 10,000 Termination Pay Rules.

• I'm in Florida and right out of my Florida Employment Law Manual, issued by Florida Chamber: "There is no Florida law which requires payment to an employee immediately upon termination, or within any time period after termination. Wages for hours worked, however, which are due to an employee who has been terminated, should be paid at the next regular pay period."

From me, you can issue a final check earlier than the next payroll cycle if you like, but it is not necessary. You have a reasonable period of time. The next regularly occuring payroll cycle after termination is generally the reasonable time.

Good luck!
  • Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
  • "There is no Florida law which requires payment to an employee immediately upon termination, or within any time period after termination. Wages for hours worked, however, which are due to an employee who has been terminated, should be paid at the next regular pay period."

Although the wording is a bit contradictory, that's the law in my state as well. Sounds like you're terminating somebody in HR, otherwise you might have called HR in Florida.

Larry, I thought it was 10,000 lakes or cheesefarms, or is it wrestling rinks?
  • We shipped all the cheese farms to Wisconsin. Didn't like the smell of the dairy air (pun intended).

So now we're down to 10,000 lakes, laws, taxes, hockey rinks, and, yeah, come to think of it, wrestling rings. Gotta love Vern Gagne, pink boas, folding chairs, and wrestling governors. Wrestling is getting to be as fake as the NBA, but we still love it.