Is calling out sick a secret?

If an employee calls out sick, can the immediate supervisor know why or does the HR department only have authority to know the reason? If there are any HIPPA laws out there that pertain to my question, I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's not a matter of HIPAA regulation or secrecy, as much as it is just old fashioned confidentiality. Typically, anything related to illness (and certain other matters) is divulged by Human Resources on a need to know basis. The question here is why would a supervisor need to know the specific nature of an illness? There's not much he could do with that information. The less we talk about illnesses and personal information in the workplace, the more likely we are to not be challenged for releasing confidential information.
  • Agree with Don. I have instructed all our supervisors that if an employee calls in sick, they do NOT need to know the specifics. If an employee calls in sick more than 3 days, they are required to provide a doctor's slip releasing them to work. Unless there is a NEED for the supervisors to have this information to do their job, there isn't a need for them to have it, regardless of HIPAA
  • Tonia:
    I look at this a little differently from the other responses. I think an employer has every right to know why the employee is unable to report for work as scheduled. We encourage suprv's to regularly contact employees:
    1. find out how the ee is doing (general expression of concern);
    2. determine est length of absence;
    3. assess whether any communicable issues may be present b/4 returning to work;

I don't see any HIPAA issues when you're talking directly to the individual. The employee is free to inform the suprv any medical information w/o violating HIPAA. Calling out sick is only a secret if the organization permits it to be.

• I have to disagree with much of what you wrote.
    1. HR should be contacting the ee to determine if they need FMLA forms, disability forms etc.
    2. If the ee is out for more than 3 days, it is up to HR to determine if they are covered by FMLA. It is HR that should be giving the supervisor an estimated period of disability based on written information received.
    3. There are HIPAA issues when talking directly to the ee. That ee has every right to tell you that the diagnosis is none of your business.
    4. Why a person is absent (whether or not they are sick, whether or not HIPAA is involved)should be limited by the company only to those who need to know. It is not a question of being secret. HR cannot function unless the ees have faith in the discretion of the people who work in HR.
  • Who knows the employee better than the supervisor? I'll bet you a dozen donuts he will know whether the employee calling in is really sick or just sick of working.

As to the type of sickness, I think the supervisor should be aware of the problems his people have. IF the employee wishes to discuss it with him, what is the problem? I feel a supervisor is more than just an individual who has x number of people working for him to produce a product. He is responsible for his direct reports and should not be left out of the loop.
  • Whatever: Everything you said about HR responsibilities is correct and in my post did not mean that we should not be involved.

However, the question was, "If an employee calls out sick, can the immediate supervisor know why or does the HR department only have authority to know the reason?". Maybe my answer should have been "Yes, the supervisor can know."

• I agree with Ritaanz.

The Sueprivsor and HR should be working together.

What makes HR sacrosanct?

If I were the superivsor who had actual responsibility for approving absences and controlling the emplyee and enforcing the policies and HR was telling me that I had no right to know about important information about my employee, I'd transfer the emplyee to HR and let HR handle everything.

I think the early responsies have it backwards. HR supports the supervisor and manager, not the other way around. I suspect in many compnay's where HR runs takes this "holier than thou" approach, HR is not a strategic partner with the rest of management.

Hey, guys, managing a workforce is a joint effort. Be a team player.
  • Ritaanz: I was not replying to you. I was responding to Down-the-Middle's post. However, I strongly believe that if an ee tells me their diagnosis (because they will be absent), I should not give that information to the supervisor without the ees permission. In this case, it is not essential that the supervisor have the diagnosis. However, if they need an accomodation, the ee has to understand that the supervisor has be involved and has to have a diagnosis.
  • I approved an FMLA request yesterday. At the same time I forwarded the approval to the ee, I notified the supervisor and department manager that the ee would be out on approved FMLA from yesterday through next Tuesday. I have a feduciary responsibility to the employee and an unsigned pledge to my profession to not go beyond that in my notification to the supervisor. It has nothing to do with being sacrosanct. The supervisors in our corporation understand and appreciate this reality. I met my 'team player' obligation to the company when I promptly ruled on the request and immediately informed the supervisor. Being a strategic partner does not require that I tell the supervisor the woman has an ostomy problem and needs surgical correction of the problem. We can all take stabs at answering the original question in the thread. But, each of our answers will be tempered by the culture within which we work and the corporate rules and the facilities practices. As to the comment that "HR is supposed to support the supervisor and the manager", that certainly is true. But, it's only about a third of the equation. HR is the only job in any organization with so many divergent allegiances and the (seemingly conflicted) requirement that we respond to the needs of all customers, including the supervisor and the employee, neither to the exclusion of the other. I would have to let the allegiance scale tip toward the employee in the original scenario, rather than a supervisor who wanted to know the specific reason for the employee's illness. As was said earlier, there's really nothing the supervisor could do with that information anyway, except perhaps pass it on. We aren't attempting to keep the supervisor from having any information he needs to make a decision on approving leave. That wasn't part of the question. As a side note, I have been involved in two EEOC cases where a major piece of both charges was that a supervisor would always question the charging parties about their illness related absences and did not uniformly do that with other employees and the agency had no consistent position on it one way or the other. Just another reason to train supervisors that medical inquiry isn't part of their job. And I doubt that any supervisor anywhere, in order to properly approve or otherwise deal with an absence, has a need to know about someone's specific medical issue. Ritaanz, where are those donuts?
  • Don, Dear: What makes you think that your rather lengthy response deserves the dozen donuts?

The bet was whether the supervisor knew the employee well enough to be able to distinguish between being too ill to come to work or just plain sick of work. Sadly, you did not cover that premise. Ergo, no donuts.

I also peppered my post with the UNDERSTANDING that the employee gave permission, agreed to, and/or approved to release the information to the supervisor.

You owe me a glass of Chardonnay.
  • >The bet was whether the supervisor knew the >employee well enough to be able to distinguish between being too ill to come to work or just >plain sick of work.

Well, let's look at that issue. Ray was home sick with the trots last week, according to his Forum testimonial. Now suppose his boss had said, "Raymond, I don't think I believe that and I've decided to not grant your request for sick leave and this will be a step 3 for you young man, because 'I know you well enough to distinguish'" If the employee requested a sick absence in accordance with policy, it really doesn't matter what the supervisor thought about the illness or how much he knew about it.

I mentioned the donuts only 'cause I was hungry. I'll buy you a Miller Lite. Take what you can get girl.
  • Don- in the scenario you are talking about, if I was Ray, I would immediately go to work to prove the supervisor wrong. :oo
  • Precious:

Again you deviate from the original post. There was never a question of approving sick leave. Just giving out information.

However, you do score for reminding all of us about Ray's (ahem) affiction. Keep your Miller Lite. I'm sure someone out there is already pouring the wine.

• If I were Ray.... hey, wait I am. I think my HIPPO rights have just been violated.

You owe me the donuts. No, wait... forget that. I'll be back in a few minutes.
  • Still????? Time for a colonoscopy.
  • No, honest Doc... I feel fine. No need to go to that trouble.
  • I thought the tenor of the original post was about an ee calling off for one day....not several days in a row...which could lead to a FMLA senario.

That being said...most ee's call off directly to the immediate supervisor...if these calls are routed through HR instead, then I have to agree that HR is under no obligation to release any information regarding having the trots. A simple notification to the supervisor "Ray is ill and will not be at work, but expects to be here tomorrow."

This goes back to my post on the FMLA board about HR not attempting to be doctors. Sure, some ee's call off sick when they are not. It's bound to happen, especially if you have a situation where ee's have far more sick hours than vacation hours.

Going back to the trot example...what are we to do? Ask for a sample? x:o

• I guess the dispute is over the way reporting system should be set up or is set up in a compnay.

If the emplyee is required to report to HR (rather than the supervisor) that he or she will be late, or absent and then HR makes the decision to okay or charge the accrued time balance or whatever, then there would be no reason for the supervisor to know the cause for the tardiness or absence.

If the employee is required to report to the supervisor that he or she will be late or absent, who then decides what to do about the information, then there would be no reason for HR to know the cause for the tardiness or absence unless the supervisor sought HR's help on a related issue and the cause had a bearing on HR's recommended action.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-22-04 AT 12:51PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe we should ask the poster to back up and describe in great detail exactly what she is asking and how the question came about. All of my comments relate simply to HR as a protector of information, rather than to processes for calling in (out?) or granting approvals or FMLA, as such. I simply stand on record as one person who is of the opinion that supervisors and managers and others throughout the organization do not need certain information in order to do their jobs, and on occasion, HR has such information but should guard it carefully rather than release it on request. Just my opinion, not that I'm sacrosanct.
  • I agree with Don. As for Ritannz's question it appears to be a moot point as whether or not the supervisor knows the employee well enough to determine whether or not the employee is ill doesn't matter. Unless a company requires an employee to present a drs. slip each time they call in sick, whether or not they are telling the truth doesn't come into the equation.

As for keeping supervisors "out of the loop", I don't think any of the posters even implied that. One of the things HR is responsible for is maintaining confidentiality with regard to employee issues and medical issues are always a "biggie". Telling a supervisor that an employee will be out ill isn't "keeping them out of the loop" but rather protecting your backside as well as the supervisor's. The less people that have the information the less likely it is that the information will spread.

If an employee "elects" to tell a supervisor all the sordid details regarding what is wrong with them, I would still instruct the supervisor to stop the conversation as they don't NEED that information to get their job done.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-22-04 AT 02:20PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Does anyone have a problem if the employer's policy requires the emplyee to contact the supervisor instead of HR and give an explanation for the reason for the absence?

If thee's no rason for the superivosr to know the medical cause for the claimed illness, then why would HR need to know either and why would the employee have to call HR?
  • Have we come to the point where we expect our supervisors to react automatically to any situation that does not directly concern XYZ Company as "none of my business"?

We spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with these people. Some companies even call them assets. I personally think it is important that their direct siupervisor care enough that he at least ask them "How are you doing?" Or is that too much to ask?
  • I don't have a problem with it. In fact every place I've ever worked has as a policy the requirement that the employee contact their immediate supervisor regarding inability to come to work. The original post wasn't clear as to what the policy was or who was called or if a call was even made, or why in fact, HR happened to have the information. The question posed was in regard to HR having knowledge of an illness and whether it should be 'secret'. To both Ritaanz and Hatchetman, none of us should ask people on the phone, "Oh yeah, what's wrong with you? How sick are you? Is it communicable? How can you convince me you are actually sick? What are your symptoms? Was the blood from one ear or both? Have you considered some of the industrial strength heavy-duty ones with wings?" And certainly there's nothing wrong with asking our co-workers, regardless of our position, 'How are you?', 'Are you better today?', 'I'm really concerned, I trust you've gotten over whatever it was that caused your absence.'

The conversation is not about our degree of concern for our fellow employees, associates, team members, assets and co-workers. It's about the inappropriateness of sharing certain information, if we have it, and the inappropriateness of asking for certain types of information.
  • I agree that inquiring about confidential informaiton over the phone is not the best way to handle such information.

But often the emplyee will identify the reason -- "I have a cold so I won't be into work." Of course, sometimes the information can be more than the supervisor wants to hear:

"I wont be at work today because I have the runs and a weakened bladder and I'm vomiting a whole lot of green, yellow stuff."

My only concern is that somewhow HR intentionally keeps the supervisor out of the loop and that the more appropriate place for the employee to report a need to be absent is with the supervisor and not HR (assuming it is practical to report to the supervisor).
  • Overall, I agree with Don. This is the EEs information to share or not. From an HR perspective, we have FMLA, ADA, WC issues to address and we have lots of guidance about how much or how little information we are supposed to have.

The part that always gives me pause has to do with whether or not the reason for being sick has to do with communicable illness. We have read posts where EEs want to work even with the flu, bad colds, measles, chicken pox, the black plague, etc and do not want to go home because they are out of sick leave. I don't want the rest of the work force coming down with the plague. So when do you know to require the doctors release to work and when was it just the trots, self diagnosed and cleared up on it's own?
  • One clear signal is toilet paper stuck to the bottom of the shoe.

x:-) it's Friday.....
  • Another angle, many of our ee's will go to their supervisor and give them all kinds of gory detail then inquire about FML time off. The supervisors eye's will glaze over and they send the ee to HR for help.

Have any of you tried to educate your ee's that they do not need to give their supervisors an organn recital?
  • You guys gave me so much great information.. AND THEN SOME! The ee did have the trots and I'm pretty sure that there were traces of toilet paper leading into his office..

I've come to the conclusion that if an ee calls out sick for "one" day, it would up to our policy on who the ee contacts and it would be the supervisors' responsibility to know whether he could ask why or not. I'm in agreement that my employees need education on calling out and that they need to be told they do not need to give the reason to the supervisor (if they are uncomfortable), but they need to give it to HR if the absence is longer than 3 days.

Again, I appreciate all of the feedback and hopefully, I can stay out of the "can" and save a tree!
  • I can't even get my supervisors to let me know when an employee calls out more than 3 days! Let alone find out why! If anyone has the magic answer for that one, please let me know.
  • Who tracks their attendance? My payroll clerk tracks attendance and that's how we find out. The coaches give her attendance sheets everyday.