Smokers more tardy than non-smokers...

I know that this is a long shot but our Plant Foreman just had to give another warning to a long-time employee in our plant for tardiness.

He said he once heard that there's a higher rate of tardiness in employees who smoke vs those who don't. He was not trying to find an excuse per se but seemed to genuinely want to find something that he could present to this particular employee that could help him maybe decide to cut down or look at quitting smoking altogether to try and help the guy. I guess the employee goes outside to smoke a lot during work hours too.

He asked me if I knew of any article, document or statistics that would indicate the higher percentage of employee tardiness in smokers.

Does anyone know of such a statistic or is this a dangerous area to get into because of handicaps or discrimination issues? Help!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-15-04 AT 02:57PM (CST)[/font][br][br]It is a total waste of time. The supervisor's and yours as well. What you have is an issue of tardiness. It's an attendance issue. It really matters not whether the guy is a smoker or whether there is some article somewhere out there that might link the two behaviors. And if there were such an article, would it make any difference? A rhetorical question. You'll find a study on every subject imaginable, most of them totally meaningless from an HR operational standpoint. The article that is more meaningful is the one about the direct correlation between employee behavior and supervisory inattention to policy enforcement.
  • I appreciate your candidness and I do agree that there is just one issue here and that is he's late to work. The supervisor [u]is[/u] doing his job and giving the warnings. Not sure his motive really for my finding the article.

We do have a smoking policy and it designates times and places that smoking is allowed.

Do you have a good attendance / tardiness policy that you enforce at your company that you'd be willing to share? If so, please fax it to me or e-mail, whichever is more convenient.

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    fax: 603-225-6930
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-15-04 AT 03:33PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-15-04 AT 03:22 PM (CST)[/font]

Leave early, work less than 4 hours - 1 point
    Leave early, work more than 4 hours - 1/2 point
    Clock in late - 1/2 point
    Absent for any unapproved reason - 1 point
    Two no call no show - termination

Any two of the above issues in one month equals unacceptable for the month equals counseling. Two of these months in a row equals a notch movement in the progressive discipline (performance commitment) process.

Employee in first 90 days of employment:
    Exceeds attendance expectations with 0 points
    Meets attendance expectations with 1 point
    Unacceptable with 2 or more points

Employee in first six months of employment:
    Exceeds with 0-1 point
    Meets with 1.5-2.5 points
    Unacceptable with 3 or more points

Employee with over six months employment
    Exceeds with 0-2 points
    Meets expectations with 2.5-5 points
    Unacceptable with 5.5 or more

Tardies are tardies when the clock strikes one second past shift start. Zero tolerance. No flat tires, no smoking excuses, no trips and falls running through the parking lot, no non-fatal heart attacks.

What your supervisor seems to me to be doing is 'parenting'. the employee is an adult. If you were talking smoke-breaks, I could relate it to smoking. But, you mentioned tardies, which has no relationship to smoking cigarettes. It is also true that more people tend to be tardy who are overweight, have undependable transportation, live farthest away from the facility, are female, who share a car with a family member, have poor eyesight, are Catholic or any who are the exact opposite of the above.

(note) My posts, although candid and to the point, are not intended to offend any reader. However, they might.
  • Do you have a smoking policy in place?

I don't think that smokers represent any protected class.

If he is taking more than the allotted breaks...and is tardy to work, smoker or not, he's violating company policies and should be disciplined accordingly.

• I interpreted from your post that the supervisor wants to try to help the guy quit smoking. He thinks that by tying smoking to his poor job performance, he'll get him to quit, i.e do you want a job or do you want to smoke. The only thing that is going to get the guy to quit is the guy. No article or statistic will do it. He will have to decide himself. A lot of times they will quit due to a personal situation that affects them. Mom or Dad dies of cancer related to smoking, a friend has a heart attck, they have a health situation related to smoking. In my opinion the only thing to get a smoker to quit is the smoker wanting to quit.
  • You're probably right. He needs to separate the issues and deal with them separately.
  • I think the bottom line is that the employee just doesn't want to be there, otherwise he would be on time. (Some training I have had in the past indicates the same thing). Some employees will overcome great obsatacles or plan according and are allways on time. Some have and occasional lateness beyond there control and some just can't seem to make it on time consistently no matter what. There once was an employee who was a very good performer but just couldn't make it to work on time. So the supervisor moved the employee's starting time back from 8:00 am to 8:30 am thinking that now the employee would allways be on time. Guess what happened? Yep, the employee still could not get to work on time! Bottom line - the employee just didn't want to be there!
  • The employee's schedule does vary in that we often have to rush equipment out the door and there's mandatory overtime involved. Whether his starting time is 4:00 or 7:00 a.m., he's late.
  • National Guard, do you have a Tardiness Policy that is effective at your facility? If you'd be willing to shar it, please do.
    Thanks,
    Cheryl
  • My hubby falls into the "always late" category. It's absolutely insane....at first I was just irritated about it (took it quite personally)...and then I became fascinated by the fact that no matter WHAT the event was if he knew it started at 7...we would not walk through the door before 7:30. Rarely does the time adjustment thing work, unless they don't know you've adjusted their time...which is what I've had to do to get to work on time (we car pool)...he still thinks I start at 8....but I spoke with my boss, who is very flexible...and I begin officially at 8:30 now...but I never told my hubby.

It's not that he doesn't get ready...or that he loafs about....not even that he doesn't want to go to work...he just cannot get somewhere on time. I can't explain why, or what he's doing instead...but it's frustrating for me, and our kids...and nothing has been successful at getting him to change....

NOTE this was not a defense for the tardy person..I still believe that an adult should be able to plan to be somewhere at a specific time and barring environmental disaster, be there on time. I just wanted to provide a look at the other side.

• Sort of. Three unexcused absences (No doctor's note) result in termination. Partial absences (late due to Illness) are charged in hourly increments untill 8 hours accumulate then one absence is charged.
    If the ee has not yet accumulated three consecutive absences for the year, the accumulated 8 hours absence will be considered excused. If the ee has already taken three or more absences, the hourly increments will require the ee to furnish a stement from a licensed health care provider each and every time, or the absence will be condsidered unexcused and will be included in that total for the purpose of termination.

Hope that helps.
    Susan
  • I smoke and I am punctual to the point of being obsessive. This is not a smoking issue, its a performance/discipline issue. I have come across smokers who do use the habit as an excuse for being late, sneaking out of a meeting, abusing break times, etc. But I've also come across employees who use a myriad of other excuses for the same infractions. The one thing they have in common is a disregard for their employer's time.
  • I am nominating RAD for the most sensible post of the past 12 months. She nailed it and that's somewhat rare on the Forum with all the tip-toeing. Someone send her a T-Shirt and a certificate for a free steak! xclap
  • I have appreciated all the insight into this scenario. It has been looked at from a few different angles now and I have gleaned some ideas to bring up at our next Management Meeting (May 6).

Our management has been lax on adhering to policies themselves so when a problem comes up, everyone is whipped into shape with memos and Kronos printouts, then comes the finger pointing which rarely results in a concrete solution. I am educating them slowly but surely...

Thanks again for all the input. You all are great at what you do and fun to "chat" with.

Cheryl